Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

salt residue on carpet, how to clean (remove) it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
1st Gear
Default salt residue on carpet, how to clean (remove) it?

Finally the weather is getting nice and warmer; now it's the time to wash, polish, and wax the car after the long winter.

I noticed there are some salt residues on the carpet; right under the gas padel. It isn't on the floor mat but on the actual interior carpet. I tried to clean it with damp cloth but didn't work. The salt residues have already dried and became very hard.

Here is my question: How do I remove or clean it? Is there any thing I can use it and not damage the carpet itself (because my interior carpet is in black color)?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: salt residue on carpet, how to clean (remove) it?

Road Salt-[/b][/b]
Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then remove with a vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, the salt stains are highly alkaline once mixed with water, so I'd reach for an acidic product to counteract/neutralize. You might find that rinsing with a solution of vinegar (Uric acid) /water helps. Repeat until most of the stain has been lifted. Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor. Using the vacuum, remove the excess moisture, loose dirt and the grime, allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use, and then apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) Be aware that once you add water to salt it becomes corrosive, so take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Mequiars carpet cleaner...

www.mequiars.com

Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

You can get a carpet cleaner from 3M or Lysol...it's a foam and comes with a brush to work on that area. Lysol has a product that's very strong.