Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

water spots

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 04:01 AM
1st Gear
Default water spots

I was out of town last week and I left my car sitting outside. When I came back I saw that my car had tons of water marks. Any way to make a long story short I used F21 wax and I took all the water marks out, no problem… just want to let you know.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: water spots

Some times it depends on the water make up.

Start with a good wash and clay bar,
then a mild vinegar and water rinse 6:1
rinse clean.
then if need be try a polish and wax.
**test

Old 07-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Water Spots

Removing & Preventing

With water spots, preventing or reducing them is the best solution. Most water contains minerals and contaminates that will leave residue when the water evaporates. This is made worse when the water evaporates quickly in the sun. Elements like iron, calcium, and slat can leave varying degrees of spotting if all the water is not removed before it dries. There is no such thing as pure mineral free water unless it has been run through an elaborate filtration system.

Ways to reduce or prevent water spots. Removing the water with a chamois or absorbent towel before it has time to dry is the best way to prevent spotting. Using a quick detailing spray will remove these minerals and give a little protection before the spots have a chance to etch into the surface. Keeping a good quality wax or sealant on your painted surfaces will help water bead off and will drastically reduce the amount of spotting. A glass surface can be coated with a protectant or wax to help prevent spotting.

If spotting can not be prevented, removal can either be really easy or really tough depending upon the severity of the spots. Spots are easiest to remove within the first 2-3 days. Once they have etched themselves into the surface, they are more difficult to remove. Washing alone will not remove etched in spots. If spots are light to moderate, they can be removed by hand with a Clay Bar or a light polish or swirl remover. If spotting is severe, using a harsher polish or compound and a machine buffer may be required. If using high speed buffer is not something you have experience with, you may want to contact a local professional.

Spots on glass can be more noticeable and just as hard to remove. A little trade secret is using distilled vinegar and a sponge to remove spotting on glass. If the vinegar does not work, a light non-abrasive polish can be used. After removing spots, glass protectant such as Rain-X can be applied to protect from future spotting.

Spots on chrome are handled the same way as spots on painted surfaces. A wax or sealant can be applied to the chrome to help protect against future spotting.

With any of these steps, a fresh coat of wax must be applied to protect the finish.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

Let's not get too carried away here. If you JUST waxed it and you got water spots, this is easy. Just rinse the car off! Dust accumulates on ANY car when left outside. Get a little rain on that dust and it will collect into the water droplets that form on a just waxed car. When the water evaporates, VOILA! Dusty water spots.

Rinse. All will be good.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 AM
2nd Gear

that is a different post than i originally replied to I think, Er maybe not. I must not have understood what he was asking or saying.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 AM
SoCal Crew Member

woot, i hate water spots having a black car