Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Wax vs Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Wax vs Synthetic

Most people tradionally wash then wax their car without knowing the proper steps to ensure how to get a show car finish. Claying is the single best procedure you can do to remove contaminants attached to your finish. I see claying was covered rather well in another post. So lets discuss Wax vs Synthetics. Did you know that the best car wax will last 30 days on a driver car? Todays modern finishes have evolved a great deal over the years, so it makes sense to apply a Synthetic polymer finish which will out last wax 6 times, giving you up to six months protection. The simplified explanation is that the polymer will make a chemical bond to your finish resulting in a more durable/stronger application. Wax has a certain tempurature for a melting point, plus wax can't stand up to environmental hazards that mother nature throws our way. No wonder why car dealers are capitalizing on selling after market paint sealant packages upwards of $900. You can do it yourself for around 20 bucks with the right information. Visit my web site to learn more. www.perfectautofinish.com Gary

Old 01-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Default RE: Wax vs Synthetic

Wuz up turbomangt? Now supposing I accidentally get some synthetic polymer on the rubber weather stripping, or the bumper, or...? Are the effects as damaging; more damaging, or less, as compared to regular wax?

Old 01-31-2005, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

A lot of polymer products have water carriers in them, your ok if you can get it cleaned up before it starts to dry......

Old 01-31-2005, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Bullit4/ Like Pat said. as you already know wax does a nasty job staining trim, you won't have that problem with synthetics. Gary

Old 04-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Site Moderator

For wax staining use Mothers Back to Black. Works like a charm.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:19 PM
5th Gear

I can vouch for back to black... http://golf.aaron-wright.com

my old golf had TONNES of black cladding, so back to black, applied with a sponge, was very quick and easy, and provided great results.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:23 AM
Default Great Discussion

I don't like some polymers because of the cleaners in them, then you can't add coats. They just remove the layer before. Some like I don't. I"m a Klasse SG guy because of it's long protection and it looks awesome with some 100% Carnuba Wax like P21S (won't stain black) and Pinnacle. I leave the cleaners to clay, paint cleaners, AIO.
Synthetics don't give you the shine. I know I know cleaning gives you shine but for the love of God nothing shines like Brazillian carnuba!
Synthetics are great for every day drivers but not like crazy shine freaks like me.
When I put Pinnacle or P21S over my customers or my car with SG underneath it last for 2 months. I use SOnus Acrylic Spritz to add some just wax after a wash.
Just my input.

Can't agree more with you on clay guy!

Old 06-13-2005, 11:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Great Discussion

VitonXL, many peope have opinions on shine, I think it is purely subjective. I get the feeling you enjoy working on your car, which is fine, and wax would be your best bet. But as far as protection goes Synthetics win hands down. That is why many people wax over synthetics. as far as cleaning agents in polymers, that depends on the brand and product. Much like polishes, some are pure (with no abrasives) others are have cleaners in them. Knowing what you are buying is key. My sealant has the best of both worlds, 80% polymers, 20% wax. Not disagreeing with you, just adding another view point. Oh, forgot about layering. I believe that no matter what product you use, when you add coats, after say 2 or 3, all you are doing is removing the previous layer. Gary

Old 06-16-2005, 06:39 AM

Synthetics do win hands down for protection. They have higher melting points, so they don't melt of like wax on a hot day. They don't disolve do to a little dirt or salt. I'm a Klasse Sealent Glaze. It will last 4 months in the Lake Effect Snow of Ohio strong. I put 3 coats on with no wax. Wax when wears collects dirt and other contamints so it can damage any synthetics. Using Klasse SG for most of my life it does not get removed when layered. If done correctly. I apply and let sit for 24 hrs for total cure. Then, remove and let sit for 24 hrs before next coat. I have met the best detailers in the biz and they do the same. I've done million dollar cars. I just don't enjoy doing my car I enjoy doing others.
What products are you talking about when talking about synthetics?

Old 06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

I was a fan of Klasse SG but I found it difficult to remove. plus I don't like to pay retail prices. it would be expensive to use in my shop. I prefer to use products mostly not available to the public from companies like Ardex/Car-Brite/Auto Magic. I believe that no one company makes a full line of productds that are outstanding, however most companies do make a few products that stand out. My job as a professional is too find those that work and make them avavilable to the public. I don't see why average guys can't get the same quality I use in my shop. YOu might say I do the work, and my customers benefit from it. Once you read the feedback section on my web site, that tells the story. Gary

Quick Reply: Wax vs Synthetic