Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

What do you use to dry your Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: What do you use to dry your Audi?

I'll chime in and give my thoughts, feedback and product reviews of the drying process.

I don't think I saw anyone mention this, but this tip will help cut everyones drying time down signficantly regardless of what product you use. After you have rinsed off your vehicle for the final time, remove your spray nozzel. Flood the surface of the vehicle from the top down. The flooding creates a sheeting effect that will self dry the vehicle. What I do is start from the top of the vehicle and move left to right with the hose. On the way back, right to left, lower the hose to the point where the water is falling and proceed to "catch" the falling water from your initial pass. Continue this method until you reach the bottom of the car. Like I said, you'll notice a vast majority of the water off the paint before you even begin to use your drying towel / blade.

My product of choice for drying towels is Microfiber Waffle Weave Towels. This combination of sheeting the water and the microfiber waffle weave drying towels is the safest combination I have found for quickly and effectively drying your vehicle, while minimizing adding additional imperfections into the paint. Seventy percent or more of imperfections typically occure by using improper washing and drying products and techniques.

Chamois tend to have a fairly flat surface, which if there is still contamination on the surface, you risk adding swirls to the paint. Similar reason why a sponge is one of the worst things you wash your vehicle with. You want something with texture and a thicker pile so that contamination is not just being pushed around the surface, but can be absorbed into and pulled away from the surface. This is why professionals will recommend a sheepskin wash mitt or an Edge ShMITT. If I didn't have a waffle weave microfiber towel available, this would be my second choice of drying towel.

As far as the blades go, I'm always against dragging anything over my paint. You have a much higher risk of adding imperfections such as swirls and scratches to the surface. I personally wouldn't use one on my vehicle because I try keeping a perfect finish year round. As long as you are aware of the higher potential risk, use carefully.

Hope this helps.

George @ Detailed Image

Old 04-04-2007, 05:01 PM

a chamois for me been using it for many years it has to be cleanthough

Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

The Absorber rocks. I've been using them for years on both light and dark colored cars.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

+1 for George @ Detailed Image

I break out the dedicated leaf blower then follow up with WW.

Al

Old 04-22-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

I've been using a Big Blue Towel, which is sortof a supersized waffle-weave microfiber towel. It's amazing, one towel dries the entire car without wringing, and it only gets easier to use when wet.You could probably dry three cars in a row with one towel.

The trick I learned was to blot the water, not wipe it. Huge difference in the finish - wiping leaves streaks of leftover dust & grime, plus whatever was on your towel, and can drag abrasives over the finish. Blotting is actually faster and leaves a mirror finish.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:42 PM

I detailed at a high dollar body shop for about three years If you wax your car every couple of months like I do here are some steps for a nice wash.

1. Wash with a microfiber small cloth. Couple of bucks.
2. Rinse with the Mr. Clean auto-dry, costs about 15 bucks.
3. California water blade will get the water off your windows, I dont use on paint. Also about 15 bucks.
4. Absorber brand chamois to pick up most the water off the paint. About 20 bucks.
5. I then go over with a very expensive very soft absorbent bath towel. Generally 15 bucks at Bed bath and beyond.

If you keep your car waxed you run a very low risk of scratching or swirling your paint with these steps.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: ErikCzajkowski

He praises the Mr. Clean filtered water system, because that gets you one step further to avoiding evil water spots.
I haven't dried my car for maybe a year using the Mr. Clean system. Works wonders on windows and I can't recall ever seeing a waterspot on my car after letting it air dry. While I wait for it to dry I'll clean and bling the wheels and tires and when I'm finished it'll be dry. Don't think I've ever seen a car shine as much after using Mr. Clean.

I recommend it for everyone, it is definitely worth the price and saving your microfibers for waxing.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: A4 the Quattro

maybe i shouldnt be using the blade then? chamois always seem to leave fibers and residue.. so i hated them.. whats the best chamois out for my black car?

A chamois is someanimal in some far off country which is where the leather towel comes from so make sure you get a REAL leather chamois. It might cost you more but it's worth it!!!

P.S. You will knowit's real because it isn't cut perfectly square and will look lie a leather hide after a few uses.