Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

99 a6 kenwood kvt-512 install..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default 99 a6 kenwood kvt-512 install..

how do i do it? lol. i want to try and tackle this myself. i bought the wire harness from ebay with the stock amp output. any tips? besides disconnecting the battery? lol. thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

ok i wired up the wiring harness that connects to the car to the wiring harness from the stereo. a couple questions. I have the bose stereo with amp. Now i got the wiring harness with amp. it has two different harnesses, one that has all the wires, and the other with the rca cables. now both of them have an amp turn-on wire. which one do i wire up to the stereo harness? other question, the car harness has a ground wire and the stereo harness has a ground wire. do i hook them up together, or do i connect them to different points inside the chassis? also, the harness i got has two "mute" wires, they look exactly the same, no + or -. the stereo harness has only one mute wire. i hooked it up to just one. is that good? my 1st stereo hookup guys, so be easy on me. i have a 99 audi a6 with bose and hooking up a kenwood kvt-512. thanks

Old 01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

OK bro, hope this isnt too late.. you can use either harness RCA (low level) or speaker (hi level) I would use the RCA, because they will give you a cleaner sound, although the regular will raise the volume of the whole system.. as far as your mute wires, hook both of them from the kenwood to the car harness. then connect your grounds together.. did you pick up a dash kit too??? you'll need that to mount the headunit..

Old 01-31-2009, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

yes i picked up the install kit. i also picked up the correct harness now and the antenna adapter. now the only problem is that the kenwood has too many ******* wires and doesnt fit in. i clipped the reverse and parking brake wires, and i also removed the glove box and pulled the usb, ipod, and two av cables, but even the actual harnesses themselves wont let the radio go all the way back. i removed the screws for the climate control, but it only pulls out about half an inch. how do i remove the harness from the climate control to get it out? i think once i pull the harness down to get the radio in, i can shove the climate control back in, its just the harness wont push down when sliding the radio back. please respond asap, i want to get this done tonight. thanks guys.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:47 AM
1st Gear

try pulling the stock harness through to under your cluster. this should help free up some room