Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

A4 bluetooth problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Default A4 bluetooth problem

Hi all, can anyone shed some light on the bluetooth connection in my 09 A4. I can connect and make and recieve calls but sometimes the person I am calling or who is calling me cant hear me. My phone, nokia 5800, is not on Audis preffered list but it has worked before. I think it may be something to do with the steering wheel voice control but I'm not sure if switching it off or switching it on makes it work. I also dont have full access to my contact list but obviously this is a secondary issue if I cant speak to the person I'm calling. I have had it working before so I know there is no problem with the car or the phone it is probably the way I have set something or other. I would appreciate any help or suggestions,

Thank you

Jiroma

Old 08-11-2009, 02:31 AM

Well, the best bet is to do some classic debugging. Try different phones; do they work? How often does this occur?

The contact list not being accessed is probably because your phone is not on the preferred list, I doubt that will be fixed.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Thanks or the reply mate. Other phones work ok in the car and the phone connects ok to other phones via bluetooth so I assume the phone is ok and the car also. Cant understand why it worked then didnt, worked again and now wont. I thought that there might be a mute switch on the steering wheel that I had activated by accident or something similar.

Jiroma

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM

You say the phone works fine with other phones via bluetooth... try using your phone for a few conversations with a bluetooth headset (that's what the car is, roughly speaking).

How often can the person you're talking to not hear you?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Good thinking sir, I will try that tomorrow with the bluetooth headset. Dont have one to hand. The sound problem is not a Norman Collier type problem ( hope your familiar with 70s comedians) but more the fact that when I connect to the car now it doesnt work at all although it has worked in the past. I have re-set the car to default settings and re-set the phone to factory a few times also but it still doesnt work.

Jiroma

Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 AM
1st Gear

I think, they are unable to pair devices. Try it again after resetting it.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 AM

I can pair ok thats not the problem. When i make or recieve a call the other person cant hear me. I can hear them so I am definitley connected but its as if my end has been muted.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

I'm going to assume you have futz'd with the mute button on the MMI screen?

Your problem sounds hauntingly familiar to a problem I'm having with a new bluetooth Plantronics headset and my LG VX8600. In my case, I lose my audio after a prolonged phone call (~1 hour). the old headset worked fine. I cannot give you an answer, only more clues to look at. My headset remains paired and some of the controls still work, just no audio. My problem remains unresolved and I'm presently exchanging it.

Try to remove the car from the experiment if you can and use some different headsets.

One issue I've identified is having different bluetooth versions - one which doesn't have a frequency "hopping" technique (I don't recall the details). Check the versions in the car and in the phone.

Wifi 2.4ghz uses the same frequency spectrum and can interfere. If you have another device in the car with wifi enabled, eliminate it.

Does this happen from the call start or does it happen later, or after multiple calls?

So you see, it happens with other bluetooth devices too, it may be easier to check on the cell phone site for troubleshooting tips and suggestions. Howardforums has been helpful for me.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 PM

Thanks all for the advice. I think I've got to the bottom of it now. The phone is faulty. The problem seems to come and go and I have tried connecting to other bluetooth devices and even the latest bluetooth set from an orange shop. So now its down to orange. I'm waiting for them to get back to me with an offer of a replacement handset.

Jiroma