Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Antenna Adapter shorting out

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Antenna Adapter shorting out

I just put in a new Pioneer head unit but having problems with the powered antenna adapter between new head and vehicle.

2003 A4 w/ Bose. All the connections and stuff came from Crutchfield so install went well. Spent some time with tech support and got everything running fine.

The problem is that the powered antenna booster keeps shorting out. I get one hour long commute to work with great radio reception and everything working fine. Next time I use the car I get no sound at all. disconnect the powered antenna adapter and then it is fine. Worked with Crutchfield technician to isolate the antenna booster. They sent a new one and it did the same thing. One hour long commute and next time use the vehicle it is shorted out.

I thought maybe the antenna in the car is going bad as I have seen posts to that end, but I have good radio reception including digital HD radio that sounded great with the new head unit when the adapter was working properly and decent reception from the original head unit when I put that back in.

I can't imagine I have gotten two adapters in a row from Crutchfield that are bad.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!