Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Break Circuit - Need some ideas please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Break Circuit - Need some ideas please!

OK friends, this is a strange one. (Sorry if I'm long winded here).

Audi A6 - 2000 - 2.7T

One day my break wear warning light came on. So while it seemed premature to me at the time it was not out of the question so I did the breaks on all four wheels; new pads and rotors. The breaks are now fine, but I still had the break warning light on. So I figure I need to troubleshoot a bad connector or possibly a broken wire (it happens). In my troubleshooting I come to find that I have 12 volts from one pin of the warning wire at the right front wheel, while the left front has no voltage.

I thought that this was a Normally Closed ground circuit so I was rather surprised to find voltage.

Now, also about the same time I got the break warning light, I also started having troubles with my interior accessory circuit (Cig Lighter). I had a blown fuse. When I replaced the fuse it blew immediately, several times. I check the Cig lighter receptacles, no foreign matter or bent contacts. None the less it would appear that this accessory circuit is grounded somewhere.

I guess I'm asking if A) I should expect 12 volts on the break warning line and B) could these two issues be somehow related.

Any ideas? Anything I might check?

Thanks in advance!