Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

CAR PC and Radio install in my B5 S4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:51 AM
1st Gear
Default CAR PC and Radio install in my B5 S4 Avant

OK, first off, this is my first CARPC, my first install, my first most everything..

2nd the car had a double Din Bose Radio in it.. I removed all the bose speakers and replaced them with Infiniti seperates in the front, 6.5" in the back doors.. They are run off the stock Bose amp (for now) with a stock 6" woofer..
I also have 2 @ 8" headrest LCD's for the back seats..

I have all these pictures in 8MP if anyone actually wants to see something better....
Ok, here we go..

OK, first off..wiring.. No kit exists, no wiring harness, nothing.. I used an Audi A6 Kit which is close to the S4 dash but not close enough to work without some work..
This was a cluster you know what.. I have a unit called a EFU that gives me my V1 Radar detector and boost readings on the computer between the tach and speed gauges, it runs off the stock radio plug and has lots of wires.. Then I have a Panasonic CD, Expander, Bluetooth, and Sirius Module and wiring.. Then all the wiring for the flip screen.. etc..
I know, it looks like my dash threw up..

As you can see, I am going to try to fit the Mac Mini in the glovebox.. I ordered a P1900 Power Supply from MP3Car but it is on back order, so for now, I have a normal invertor..

So, while atacking all this, I thought I would get around to installing my V1 Radar detector.. They are illegal in Virginia so I mounted it on the passanger sunvisor.. I had to extend the screws about 1 inch so it would fit right..

So, all wired up and working.. I put the XR1 Router with Verizon card behind the seat for now and connected to it through the wireless router. I connected the audio out from the Mac Mini with a PHONO to rca adapter to the Panasonic radio through the AUX input..

Ok, I know this is the most awful reskin EVER!!! but I just colored in the MITSU logo and copied a S4 logo over it.. I will get around to making my own when I have time to learn how..
So, I have to wiggle some wires around to get the 2 units to slide into the dash a little more, I also have to file down the install kit

I still have to figure out how to get video to the 8" LCD Headrest monitors..
Mac Mini is DVI out, I have a DVI to VGA Adapter.. I am guessing I am going to need to split that vga to 2 vga's, then get a VGA to RCA Adapter, then split that RCA to 2 RCA's for each screen.. I will attack that tomorrow..

Almost 1 AM now... Will send some more tomorrow...