Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

CD Multichanger

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default CD Multichanger

My A4 has the Audi Concert single disc CD player, and I have been perusing e-bay for a multi changer to fit.

Is there a particular model that can be used?

I was told that a circular multi plug already exists for connection to a multichanger, and it is located above the left side rear wheel arch, is this the case?

Thanks for your help.

Peter.

I have now stripped the inside of the boot down to painted metal, and there is no multi-plug. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by Badcompany; 01-02-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Anyone?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Because you have the factory single disc option, the factory did not lay a cable to the rear. However, you should be able to extend the cable at the back of the radio to the trunk, though it may need a different termination.

PIE (Precision interface electronics) would have a number of solutions, including OEM wiring.

I have both their VW/PC-KNNSR and VW/PC-PAN devices which allow the factory Audi radio to control and integrate a Kenwood CD/DVD changer and Sirius tuner, or Panasonic CD changer, respectively. I don't need either of these devices anynmore so name your price and their yours (retail +/-$60-80).

You will need a cable that will go from your factory radio to one of these devices. Installing everything in an area near the rear of the radio would be best if you have the room, means a shorter interface cable (+/-$10 from PIE, vs. more $ for longer). Then you can run the changer cable that comes with the multi-changer (usually +/-16') from the device to the changer in the trunk.

All things being equal I would recommend going with a dvd changer (kenwood or Panasonic), this way you can actually run it separately via remote if the kids want to watch a movie while you're listening to Satellite radio up front (otherwise it can behave as a normal CD changer). I have run both with these devices and they work fine. Kenwood has the advantage of allowing you to toggle b/w a Kenwood Sirius tuner (very cheap) and even adding a Kenwood mp3 "music keg" mp3 drive, same as phatbox. You can go over the possibilities with the staff at PIE, they are very helpful, though they are not aware of all of the compatible Kenwood (etc.) models (they only list a portion of what actually works).