Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

HELP! Ultra Blue LED lights on liscense plate...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Exclamation HELP! Ultra Blue LED lights on liscense plate...

Ok, so I need help. I don't even know if this is supposed to be in the Electronics thread...

I bought Ultra Blue LED lights for my liscense plate blub & it looks extremely nice...for the 1st 30 seconds! Once I start my car it's fine and the lights are on but after about 20-30 seconds of driving, I hear a beep and the service indicator says "Number Plate Light." It also shows a light bulb with an X.

uhhh wtf is that supposed to mean? My boyfriend used his OBD code reader thingy to reset the codes on the car which I THOUGHT worked because I could drive for about 3 minutes without any issues.

What's going on here??? Why won't the lights stay lit? Why does the service indicator say, "Number Plate Light"

If anyone knows PLEAASEEE HELP!!!! I have an 02 A4...

THANKS SO MUCH!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 AM
4th Gear

From what I know, the LED's dont have the right resistance for the 'bulb check' so it thinks the bulbs are burned out. A resistor will prolly have to be installed inline with the LED's (power line going to them).

Someone here I'm sure will tell you exactly how its done soon..

Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks for help! Appreciate it!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
4th Gear

First make sure ur connections are making contact. because sometimes the tend to not connect all they way and start flickering and then gone. if u go the resistor route install the resistor in a parelle setting. Also make sure to mount the resistor in a safe place cause they tend to get very very hot. OR u can go a purchase new bulbs front autoillumination. If so get the 9 led because they are way brighter then the stock lexus and bmw lights so it looks a lil nicer.

9 LED compared to 6

9 led on left 6 on right. U can see it lights up the entire plate i needed to adjust camera for better pic so sorry for the blurrieness

Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

I have a 07 S6 and i had the same problem with license plate lights AND the interior bulbs. I bought the 9LED high flux bulbs from autolumination. Dont even bother with the standard LED ones, they suck. Only one bulb ended up working, and screwed with my diagnostics. My interior bulbs ended flickering like crazy. The LEDs draw way less power than standard bulbs, so the car thinks the bulbs are burnt out. 5-10watts vs 0.5watt. I returned all of them cuz i dindt want to put in resistors.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
4th Gear

i think they make certian bulbs that dont throw codes. On the silver part of the bulb it should say 12 or 14.5V and those are the ones i think that dont make errors flash.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 AM

Thanks! I don't even know how all you managed to get it to work. I went the resistor route instead of just buying new ones and I couldnt even tell you how I got it to work cuz I didn't do much! But my boyfriend pretty much did exactly what Pa4ul said & it worked just fine and stayed on, so thanks again. My car looks hotter than before... crazy bright.

&& the resistor does get really hot but we (he) managed to put it in a semi safe place behind something so hopefully my car doesn't blow up lol.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
4th Gear

glad i could help make an other audi look hawt! Just keep an eye where u mounted the resistor so u dont melt paint or anything.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 AM

hey, thought I'd post a pic of the outcome...here it is && I love it. Even though I'm not sue if I'm feelin my red tail lights wit the blue...maybe white?? Not sure

and don't mind the Transformer decal...I loved that movie.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
4th Gear

dang did u get the blue leds or the white?

Quick Reply: HELP! Ultra Blue LED lights on liscense plate...