Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

How to upgrade or retrofit '02 A4 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 AM
Default How to upgrade or retrofit '02 A4 stereo

I just purchased a 2002 A4 that has the standard Symphony II (not the Bose version). I am fairly disappointed in the sound and am looking for some ideas as to how to upgrade. I would like to stay with the factory look if at all possible and I really don't want to re-wire the entire system.

Is it possible to purchase the Bose version of the Symphony II and the Bose speakers and just have them installed in place of the existing system (using the existing wiring)?

Would the addition of an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier help?

Is there a better alternative? Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2005, 12:30 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: How to upgrade or retrofit '02 A4 stereo

YOU WON'T BE ANY HAPPIER WITH THE BOSE SYSTEM.. THERE IS A SCOSCHE DASH KIT AVAILABLE TO REPLACE THAT STEREO WITH A STANDARD DIN SIZE UNIT AND HAS A POCKET UNDERNEATH. FIRST THING I WOULD DO THOUGH WOULD BE TO JUST REPLACE ALL THE SPEAKERS IN THE CAR WITH SOME GOOD AFTERMARKET UNITS AND YOU'LL SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE. ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND. YOU CAN ALSO KEEP THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT AND USE AN ADAPTER TO HOOK-UP AN AMPLIFIER. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE IN MIND AND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:16 AM

I would like to keep the head unit if possible. My total budget is probably $500 to $750 (and less if possible).

As I did more research, I came to the same conclusion as you -- replace the factory speakers and add an amp (or two).

Do you have any suggestions for speakers (brands or models)? I assume that I should get component speakers so I can directly replace the separate woofers and tweeter in each door? Also, I assume I can use the existing wiring?

In terms of amplifiers, what sort of adaptor would I need? Do you happen to know if I need one or two amps? I think I read somewhere that the rear speakers in the '02 A4 have their own amp built into the back left woofer (in the door). If so, I assume I would need a 2 channel amp for the front and a 3 channel amp for the rear (to drive the rear doors and the subwoofer)? Do you have any brand or model recommendations for amps?

Any suggestions on where to buy?

Thank you very much for your input!

Old 09-25-2005, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Since the factory headunit won't have inpputs for an amp you will need an adapter that taps into the speakers to connect the amp to the headunit.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 04A4UltraSport

Since the factory headunit won't have inputs for an amp you will need an adapter that taps into the speakers to connect the amp to the headunit.

Actually, you can add a preamp out from your Symphony II head unit that will give you two sets of RCA's and a remote lead. From there, you can add an amp and aftermarket speakers. See these links pix of mine. Also, go to audiworld.com and do a search in the audio forum for "preamp" and you will see that this question comes up a lot.
FYI - to install this connector, you will need to move some pins/wires around behind the Sym II. Should only take 5-10 minutes if you borrow my special wire extractor tools (see pix below for more details).

http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/photos/...lbum=57&pos=25
http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/photos/index.php?cat=10030

Keeping the OEM headunit allows you to retain Radio/CD info in the cluster. Some like to keep the OEM HU...but don't care much for the sound quality of the Audi head units (regardless of Bose or non-bose). In fact, the newer OEM Nav head units have a much better frequency response than the base Symphony units. I have a 2001 A6 (non-bose) and went from Sym I to Nav+ (CD-based) and it sounded much better than most other A6's with bose. I'm currently installing the RNS-E DVD-based unit....so I'll expect the sound quality to only get better. See www.navplus.us for more info on these units.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

also...fyi..if your car doesn't have bose and you add this pre-amp output connector, you will need to have your Sym II recoded for bose. Very simple if you can find someone with a VAG com device. Do a seardh on audiworld.com (audio forum) for more details.