Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

LED Strip Lights

Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 AM
1st Gear
Default LED Strip Lights

Can someone explain to me how those beautiful LED strip lights Audi made famous actually work? I'm wondering if they are just the daytime running lights, or if they come on with the headlights at night as well? I'm looking at hooking up an aftermarket set to my car, and I'm not quite sure how I want to configure them. I'm assuming there's no way these give off enough light to be used as functional headlights, but I defer to the experts to help me understand how and when these lights work.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

if you want LED strips get a newer audi, dont do it on your car..
please

Old 12-20-2010, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by muurai
if you want LED strips get a newer audi, dont do it on your car..
please
Your opinion is noted and rejected. I would appreciate it if someone would answer my presumably simple question.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

They are on at night too. And yes if you leave it on auto the leds are your drl's

Old 12-22-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a4cruisin
They are on at night too. And yes if you leave it on auto the leds are your drl's
Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DennyCrane
Thanks very much, I appreciate it.
No problem. I see some people reject this idea but I've seen some done and it looks cool, in my opinion. They took a heat gun and separated their light housing and put em inside at the bottom front just like the new style led strips.

I believe that since it's your car,do whatever the **** you want to it and dont worry what anybody else says

Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

^Thats the plan! I'm getting it done to my 2010 Mazda 3 on Friday. I'll post some pictures if it turns out good.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 PM
4th Gear

Hmm i would be careful as how u do this retrofit. Most leds wont ever matcht he brightness produced by the leds audi uses. Even aftermarket lights dont produce the same brightness as stock audis.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

I got it done on Friday. I've disconnected my DRL's and use the LED's instead. I also run them in conjunction with my headlights at night, but I had them put in a switch so I can turn them off if I need to. Here are a couple pictures, although my point-and-shoot camera does them very little justice. They actually look really awesome in person!

As for giving off enough light, I agree, they hardly give off any. But the only time I use the LED's on their own is as my daytime running lights, so I don't really need them to give off much light. I'm sure they're probably technically illegal, but I can't see why a cop would waste their time when they don't hurt anyone.

Name:  IMG_1008.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1006.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  95.2 KB

Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

good job man, those look wicked! sorry to see it on a mazda though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Strip Lights