Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

NewEverything ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear
Default NewEverything ?

Well my Car"s audi performance is very horrrible and Im thinking of getting some new crap. I already have an Aiwa CD Player but is not installed, what kind of components should I get to make it sound better and have a little more bump in the rump.

Im not looking for a DVD mega-entertainment center just a nice simple inexpensive audio setup.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

Okay, I looked at my CDPlayer and it has 2 pins and what appears to be a power cable. Is this compatible with the Audi system ?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Probably. Not knowing the model, I can only guess at your configuration, but here goes.

The cord you think is power is probably your antenna. The antenna cord tends to be thicker than most. Most power cables are part of your wiring harness. You'll need a car specific wiring harness and a stereo specific wiring harness; for that specific model of aiwa, so find out your model #. The car specific wiring harness can be found at any car audio dealer, or somewhere online like crutchfield. The receiver wiring harness can sometimes be harder to find if it's an older one, so search a place like crutchfield, and maybe even ebay. I don't tend to buy from crutchfield because they're ridiculously overpriced, but you'll be able to find part numbers to better search.

The total for these can run anywhere from 20-50 bucks. I'm not sure, I'm new to the audi. It may be more expensive. Try to never lose your stereo specific wiring harness. I learned this lesson to the tune of $600.

If you need help w/ the install, just drop a note.

~~~
I just purchased an audi, and i agree, the stock stereo sucks.

Get a harness, install your head unit, you'll immediately see improvement. Then grab yourself two pairs of speakers, install them. You don't even have to go that expensive. That's usually good enough for most people. If you choose to go for amp and subs after that, well, your choice. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so I tend to go all out.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 AM
1st Gear

I too was displeased with the stock Bose Symphony setup, I wish they could ship them out of the box with Boston Acoustics, much like the Chrysler 300C. In fact, I almost bought a 300C simply for that reason. And, the big brutish, highly inefficient (power-to-displacement wise) Hemi V8. But, then again, I wanted something to go with my stereo, so I got an Audi... LOL

Crutchfield is, yes, way overpriced, unless you get the specials. Personally they never had anything I like on specials, but in July (into August) they had Boston Acoustics G512-4 and G512-44 (also G510-4 and G510-44) subwoofers on a buy one get one special. These are $400 top of the line Boston Acoustics, buy one get one free. In 12 and 10 inch sizes, single or dual voice coil. With the money I saved, I bought an absurdly overpriced Q.Logic $180 sub box. USED G512 speakers have been routinely going on ebay for $300+, so (I haven't looked lately) one could theoretically turn a profit. I posted here when the deal first ran, but I don't know if it is still going. I almost bought two sets, should have :-/

But yeah, I would also recommend an Eclipse head unit, if you are going for sound quality. As crappy as anything Bose is, IMO it stands head and shoulders over Aiwa. Then again, all I see is the wally-mart special Aiwa home systems, so I could be mistaken.