Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Playing DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Default Playing DVDs

I have a 2006 Audi S4. It has the navigation with the MMI. Does anyone know about an adapter that allows you to play regular dvds through the nav screen and sound system?

Old 02-22-2007, 02:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Playing DVDs

Yes, if you have the RNS-E navigation, there is an input on the back on the unit that accepts a multi-media interface (like a Dietz 1417), which will allow you to connect an external DVD player and have the images appear on the RNS-E screen, and sound via your stereo speakers.

There is also a safety feature for which I am not sure how it is bypassed on the B6 S4 setup. It does not allow video in motion. Not sure if there is an adaptor for that (like the Dietz 1280), or if there is a way to change the software coding to do that. My A6, all I ahve to do is put a kill switch in the speed/GALA wire and I can watch movies on the go. There are a few aftermarket sellers of the RNS-E that have the hardware/software to recode units for video in motion as well. Go to www.navplus.us for more info.

The adaptors are about $250 +/- and the cost ofDVD units varies, but are typically around $200 or so for a decent unit. I have a Blaupunkt ME-3 DVD player/TV tuner hooked up to myRNS-E, and I love it!