Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Please help I think Audi are ripping me off!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Please help I think Audi are ripping me off!

Hi I am new to this and apologise if this has been previously posted - I wasnt sure what to look for.

I own a 54 plate Audi A6 2.0 TDI. The car has only done 59000 miles and we are having numerous problems. I wanted to know if I have any argument against Audi for the current problems we are encountering.

On Saturday 24 Jan 2012 my car was valeted (without the use of a pressure washer). The car was then not used until Monday morning. When we went to the car the battery was completely flat and would not even unlock using the keyfob.

We called a recovery service who came out and couldnt work out what the problem was but did jump start it. They advised us that the battery was completely flat and needed us to either drive it around for at least an hour (this was infeasible due to both myself and my husband having to go to work) so we took it to the local garage (not wanting to have to pay excessive Audi dealership costs) who then put the battery on a slow trickle charge for the day. The Mechanic advised us to bring it back the following day and he would again put it on trickle charge to make sure it was fully charged. At this point the car drove us home on Monday and started again on Tuesday morning without problem. Driving home Tuesday night, half way home it just died on us. The car would Yet another call to recovery bods who once again could not resolve the issue so towed us to local garage. We left the car with a mechanic who we trust and who has dealt with all of our cars historically. After spending two days working on it he admitted defeat and said he did not have a clue what was wrong with it and reluctantly advised us it would need to do to a dealership.

So thats the background (oh by the way I will relate some gremlins shortly!!!).

I called Audi on Friday and they said they could only fit it in today and it would cost me £90 for the diagnostics which should take an hour. So having no choice I agreed to this.

Today I went to Audi to book in my car (after having spent £45 getting it towed there as they couldnt arrange towing for at least a couple of weeks!) Having already told them of all the Gremlins/problems they suddenly increased the diagnostic testing by an hour and hence another £90!! This is what I originally told them:

I told them all of the above and in addition these faults:

The parking sensor only works sporadically
When you start the car after waiting for the glowlight to go out it chugs rather than starting cleanly
The radio occasionally comes on by itself without the key being in the ignition
The radio changes channel between drivers (using the same key) but still shows the original radio station
The interior light picks and chooses when it will come on when unlocking the car
The rear windows open by themselves when they have been closed and the car is locked
The rear windows will not respond to buttons asking them to open or close
(I think thats about it!)

So I was not overly impressed when they originally told me 1 hour then increased it to 2 and doubled the price.

So the car was left with them at 9.30am today and finally by 5.40pm I got a call from them.....

That has to be the longest two hours of my life!!

Anyway sarcasm aside they then proceed to tell me that several wiring looms need replacing due to water getting into them and in addition to the £180 they have already charged me it will cost another £280. Not being particularly car orientated I asked if this would make the car start and they said they hoped so but we may also need a new battery depending on if it would hold its power (the battery has been checked by my mechanic and all his equipment said battery was fine and it was only when put on the car did it lose its power). So having stropped at the additional cost and been told that if I want the car to work it will cost me the additional money I have told them to do it.

But how has water got into my wiring in the first place and why should I have to pay for what I currentlyperceive as a fault on the Audi?

Apologies for the extremelength of this but I am so not impressed and feel like Audi are taking advantage of me!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Guru

First off w/ all those problems be glad the didnt charge an hr for everything individually. Or lump a couple together and charge say 3-4 hrs.

I'm guessing the wires are under the hood, heat builds and breaks things down. So no it's not really a design flaw.

I would of expected an open of sorts by your email.

Sorry but that's the life/job of owning a car. If you want worry free driving, dont own one(lease/public transport) or trade up/off every couple of yrs.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Whilst I appreciate your comments your response was rather vague! I am fully aware of how I should potentially be appreciative that they have not charged me by the hour. Your heat v loss doesnt hold any vaild argument with me. My point was more how did the water get in? I apologise for any misconception that I actually know about cars but to me if a car is advertised as having awesome german vorrsprung durcht techniq or what ever it is - I expect it to last longer than 59000 miles without a complete electronic meltdown. Should I assume you work for Audi as that is what I would classify as a typical Audi repsonse?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
4th Gear

hate to say it but audis arent water proof. There are spots for draining water throught he channels of the car. Sometimes the channels get clogged IE debris leafs bugs whatever it might be. This sometimes allows water to penetrate the cabin. I would venture to say this might have been the culprit of some of your woes. In all honest i would say your central convience module has gone caput reason for your electronics to be acting all fuzzy. Just a thought though. I could be wrong.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Guru

No actually I'm a mechanic. What I'm saying is the heat from the engine car wearout/breakdown plastic components. It happens to all manufactures and all products.

The water could of got in due to something like that or as stated above possibly got inside the car. W/o the car in front of me to see which bits are broke/the issue I'm just throwing **** on the wall and trying to see what sticks.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy

Comments accepted and appreciated - I got the verdict today they don't know how the water got in - they thought a seal had broken on the electrical box (please do not ask me to be more specific as no matter what I said the guy was not very forthcoming when I asked where the "box" was located or as to what the "box" was) but have no idea why. They are quoted as saying it is a very rare fault and further investigation is being taken. I cited normal water entry points and potential leaf blockages but was told this was not the case.

I do also take on board comments regarding public transport unfortunately two of us use the car and the nearest bus is a 15 minute walk away and it currently only takes 15 minutes to get to work in the car and it is now taking me 3/4 hour. Bus prices cost me £9.50 a week and it doesnt cost me that in the car (taking into account insurance, tax, fuel and all other car related costs - well except maybe this) - I then have to double that as there are two of us. In addition should I want to do a "big" shop this is unviable on the bus and I refuse to purchase fresh food on a delivery system as I do not have a say in what they pick for me.

Oh well thats my holiday down the pan - maybe next year

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

ye,same thing happened to me,and still had to fit another battery?they said the car needs programming you must be joking this car knows what battery is fitted and coughs and spits if any other battery is fitted.I attained a diagnostic device of ebay £59,and can now reset all the instruments and devices and service interval,money well spent.sometimes i disconnect the battery for 20mins and this resets the computer.would i buy another,yes best car so far at 60,ooom and counting .as regards the windows opening ,take off the auto press key button.ie press and hold to close windows.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by spaceylala
Comments accepted and appreciated - I got the verdict today they don't know how the water got in - they thought a seal had broken on the electrical box (please do not ask me to be more specific as no matter what I said the guy was not very forthcoming when I asked where the "box" was located or as to what the "box" was) but have no idea why. They are quoted as saying it is a very rare fault and further investigation is being taken. I cited normal water entry points and potential leaf blockages but was told this was not the case.

I do also take on board comments regarding public transport unfortunately two of us use the car and the nearest bus is a 15 minute walk away and it currently only takes 15 minutes to get to work in the car and it is now taking me 3/4 hour. Bus prices cost me £9.50 a week and it doesnt cost me that in the car (taking into account insurance, tax, fuel and all other car related costs - well except maybe this) - I then have to double that as there are two of us. In addition should I want to do a "big" shop this is unviable on the bus and I refuse to purchase fresh food on a delivery system as I do not have a say in what they pick for me.

Oh well thats my holiday down the pan - maybe next year
actaully that problem has occured on a number of audis with water leaking into the ecu. They tend to crack with heat in the engine and all. U can always buy the ecu seperate and take it to the dealer and have them code it in. That might save u a few hundred dollars!