Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Sub install help

Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Default Sub install help

I have a B6 A4 and am trying to put in an Alpine MRP M500 Amp and two Alpine Type E 10'' Subs. Where is the stock amp located at? and do i need a high low converter in order to be able to hook up the system if not could you explain how to go about installing them. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

Are you just planning of hooking up your Alpine Amp to your stock Amp? (btw stock amp should be in back trunck driver side, you will need to pull panel off)
I did this in the past, you will need a H/L converter, But newer amps usually has it built in, so user has an option to toggle H/L or RCA.
You will output signal, tap Amp output L Rear +/- to L AMP RCA and R Rear +/- to R AMP RCA. You can find this info on Audiworld Audio tech forums...

Old 01-11-2010, 10:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Amps, Power, wiring

I have a 99 a4, I removed the stock radio, amps etc, and replaced it all with a DVD in dash and separate A/V input output box, with the stock radios the amps are in the back, most aftermarket amps have built in crossovers (H/L) allowing you to choose which frequency you are sending the speakers. One note I have found, the Audi electrical system does not like the power draw very much, maybe it is because mine is older but if I let it sit for 4 or 5 days without running it my battery is dead, and a few times I have had to have my tech come over to my house and run adaptation on it! Not fun, make sure you have all your power rating set and tested! Other than that it is a straight forward procedure!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
4th Gear

eaisest way is to pop off the grill covering your stock subwoofer. Plug you HI LO Converter to those wires. Run your remote wire to the fuse box. Plug up your power and ground. Be careful not to drill into the gas tank if u install on the floor

Old 01-22-2010, 03:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by silver_rings
Are you just planning of hooking up your Alpine Amp to your stock Amp? (btw stock amp should be in back trunck driver side, you will need to pull panel off)
I did this in the past, you will need a H/L converter, But newer amps usually has it built in, so user has an option to toggle H/L or RCA.
You will output signal, tap Amp output L Rear +/- to L AMP RCA and R Rear +/- to R AMP RCA. You can find this info on Audiworld Audio tech forums...
Ok, So im looking to do this. from my Understanding, fairly simple, but there is 1 area that I just need some clarification. But ill start from the beginning from where I think i need to start.

-Run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to the trunk where the new amd and sub will be
-Install a High-level to Line-level converter on the speaker wire running to the factory amp
-Plug the RCA from the converter to the new amp
-Split the remote line to run to the new amp as well.

The one part im unsure of is how do I get the 1 channel speaker to have 2 channel output (left and right)?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_543ADP1...onverter&ssi=0

Do I feed the negative to L and Positive to R? can someone help me with this? thx

Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM
4th Gear

Hmm im not excatly sure what u mean. In the link is that wat you are going to use for your Low output converter. If so the signal will be divided through the rcas. or are you talking about your subwoofer wiring to the amp. For the remote wire what i did was run a wire from the amp to the fuse box located on the drivers side dash. I tapped into a fuse so when the car turns on it recieves power and therfore turns on the amp. Easiest way to do it. And also u can plug ur LOC to the stock sub as this to me was the eaisest speaker wires to get ahold of without taking anything apart. If u needs pics or something let me know and i would gladdy snap some for you.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

Hey if u dont mind that would be great. remote wire im not worries about, its the LOC that's buggerin me in my head.

here's why:
The input for the Speaker Level Converter is 2 channel input, but wouldn't the stock sub wiring only be mono? how would that work? Sorry I haven't wired a car in 5 years so I need some re-education lol. Im gonna try and do this tomorrow.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

You now what, I stared at the Line level Converter for a minute today trying to figure this out, and I think I did.

So im guessing the sub output for the stock sub is mono. And to go from 2 wires ( - / + ) to 4 (L - / +) (R - / + ), then I would just connect the sub output ( + ) positive to the Line level converter ( R + ) ( L + ), so 1 wire to 2, and then the sub output ( - ) negative to the Line level converter (R - ) ( L - ). again 1 wire to 2. that should split the signal properly and give both the R / L the proper sound it needs so when I connect the sub to my amp in mono?

attached is a line level converter diagram that I drew so someone can help me confirm its how I should wire it

Attached Thumbnails Sub install help-linelevelconverter.jpg  
Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

honestly ive ran a converter before its going to sound like ****. my bro has the same subs and amp on a converter in his durango. if you get a aftermarket cd player and just get the wiring harness that bypasses the stock amp your subs will hit 2x as hard for sure and i think its easier to hook-up than a line out coverter. if you dont want to do that then all you do is the pos. on LOC go to pos on speakers and same with neg. then just ground the amp run a power wire to batt. and remote to back of stock radio and your done. oh and rcas from LOC to amp.

Last edited by SILVER A6 2.7T; 01-22-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

one more thing you dont have to use the sub for the LOC you can use any speaker in the car. but since the remote wire should be hooked up the back side of the radio you can just put it in back there just find out which wires are for you speakers and its just pos to pos and neg to neg oh and the LOC should have like 2 brown wires and 2 grey or something like that its because 1 set goes to the right speaker wires and the other goes to the left side speaker wires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sub install help