Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Symphony HU + aftermarket speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Default Symphony HU + aftermarket speakers

I did an exstensive search without finding anything that really addressed this question.

I have a Symphony (in-dash CD) HU with stock speakers. My goal was to improve the sound as much as possible, keeping the stock HU. Obviously the speakers would have to go. Now, my questions in an easy-to-answer (hopefully) format:

Guidelines:

1. Looking for BALANCED yet powerful (rich) sound. Not vibrating teeth yet being able to feel the music to some degree.

2. Not planning to add subwoofer and if I do, probably a mini self-powered (under-seat style) subwoofer .

3. Would an amp be required/strongly recommended for this setup (aftermarket door/deck or aftermarket door/deck + minisub) instead of running from the Symphony HU directly?

4. I've done minor car audio installs before (HU, speakers, etc.) but might actually have pro instal this time (Best Buy, Circuit City, other).

5. Budget: $400-500

Questions:

1. Will 5 1/2 (doors) and 6 1/2 (deck) fit without too much modifications (if any)?

2. I'm trying to decide between Infinity Reference and Polk db's (in 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 sizes). Any recommend either?

3. Sound deadening from B-Quiet (like Dynamat x-treme only much cheaper)? Good addition?

Please help me figure out the best setup based on my configuration/guidelines/budget.

This could also be a big help for those who have stock Symphonys looking to improve their sound easily and for little cash. Thanks for your time.

For product links click >>> here <<<

-Beau

Old 05-28-2006, 02:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Symphony HU + aftermarket speakers

Hi Beau-
Part of the problem with using the Symphony H/U is that they've done some EQing tailored for the Bose speakers. There IS a possibility to tie in additional amplifiers through the line level outputs on the back of the HU, and based on your expectations for the system, they might work well enough. If it were me, and I was dead set on keeping the Audi H/U, I suggest the 1st thing in your "system" is the JL Audio Clean Sweep. Essentially it "un-EQs" the DSP that Audi/Bose added into the signal, and gives you a clean - "flat" output. The problem is this piece alone will eat up much of your budget...but it's the best way to get a good signal out of the Audi H/U.

After that, I suggest a simple 3 way system (Sub(s), midbass, tweeter), powered by a 4 channel amplifier running with a pair of channels bridged for the subs. There's numerous brands out there that will get the job done for what you're asking, and your personal preference for speakers will play a part.

Let me know if I can help further...Please see my "tutorials" about what I did and how I installed everything in my S4.

Cheers,
Matt