Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Upgrading to Aftermarket Audio Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Default Upgrading to Aftermarket Audio Question

Hello all. I am currently looking into either a new S4 or RS4. Either car seems to have pretty much everything I might want in a car. However, before I seriously considered it, I would need to know hard it is to put in my aftermarket audio equipment. I'm a fairly experienced DIY-er in audio systems, but I don't like to integrate. I would want to replace everything from the head unit on down, including wiring. I have some questions:

1) It appears that the A4, S4 and RS4 all have the same dash opening for the stereo, correct?

2) If I decided not to get navigation and the Bose system, how hard is it to pull the stock stereo out of the dash and replace it with a single-DIN head unit. I believe Sosche makes a head unit install kit, although I'm not particularly fond of Sosche. Are there some others out there? AmericanInternational makes some good kits, but I don't think they make one for the newer 4 series yet. Anyone with any links to pictures or aftermarket systems in the newest generation of 4 series?

3) If Ido not want to get the nav and Bose,can I still get the other options in thepremium package? Like the rear heatedseats, homelink, auto dimming mirrors, memory seats, etc.

There are other cars out there that I like as well, but the design of the dash andstereo system, as well as integration with the rest of the car (nav, climate controls) etc makes it next to impossible toput my own system in. Being able to putmy own equipment in my car is a VERY important selling point.

Thanks in advance! -Tony

Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Upgrading to Aftermarket Audio Question

How new are you talking tony? like right off the showrrom floow 07 s4/rs4? cause in that cause i would wait a good year or so, for a company to creat the parts and everything for the car so its easy to cwap everything and you dont cause a new problem or void your factory warranty. But if you getting liek a B5 or something then it is fairly easy to do a total swap. They make dahs kits and eveything for those years and if your gonna totaly rewire every speaker and all that then you shouldnt have any slow ups at all.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: TKneedsS4

How new are you talking tony? like right off the showrrom floow 07 s4/rs4? cause in that cause i would wait a good year or so, for a company to creat the parts and everything for the car so its easy to cwap everything and you dont cause a new problem or void your factory warranty. But if you getting liek a B5 or something then it is fairly easy to do a total swap. They make dahs kits and eveything for those years and if your gonna totaly rewire every speaker and all that then you shouldnt have any slow ups at all.
Yeah, I'm thinking brand spanking new. Just looking at pictures of the dash, the new models don't seem any different than the older ones. I'm not really worried about warranty issues, I'm fairly methodical and knowledgeable about taking the insides of cars apart. I've since seen a few pictures of newer A4s and S4s on Cardomain with some aftermarket stuff, presumably with the Scoshe kits.

If I was going to go used, I'd probably go with an RS6...although I really haven't researched that car as much as the newer RS4.

Thanks for the reply.

Tony

Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

Yea i was gonna say wait for scoshe or metra to ocme out with the parts and youll be all set, it sounds like they are already out if u seen em. Good luck RS6 would be bad *** but so wouldnt the opther 2 haha.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:32 AM
1st Gear

i would pass on scoche, their kits usually leave much to be desired, so if your forkin out for a new ride, pay a little more and get a good kit and harness. Check ot Best Kits from amp of america. however doing it yourself might not be the best idea. New vehicles these day, especially Audis have so many electronics and **** on em that even putting in a simple deck isn't easy. Ask your local stereo shop about the kit and harness first though.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

As far as I can tell it looks like the the B7 06+ dash is the same as the B6 02-05 A4. I orginally purchased my dash kit from: http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=2465 (Metra Kit), when I install a Pioneer 2din unit. But have since replaced it with a single din unit and bought a 2nd dash kit from sounddomain.com (Scoshe Kit). The Scoshe kit is identical to the Metra Kit. I orginally had the Bose Symphony II head unit and I know there are different wire harnesses depending on what OEM head unit you have. You will also need the keys to remove the OEM head unit, autotoys.com sells those as well.

The only downfall is that you no long get radio station or cd track # listed on the display by the gauges. Other than that it was a pretty straight forward install.