Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

any tips for window tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 PM
1st Gear
Default any tips for window tinting?

Just wondering if anyone here has done their own window tinting before, and if they could share any techniques with me for a flawless end result. I have applied a few decals and vinyls before (not on cars though) so I know what I'm doing just want to ask if there is any trade secrets out there. I plan on doing all windows except thefront windshield and my tail lights (99.5 1.8TMQ)

Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: any tips for window tinting?

my advice would be do get a professional to do it, because homemade ones always tend to bubble.

Unless your damm good at it you might get a nice homemade job, but id rather pay the extra money for something like tint

Old 03-20-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

thats true it probably would be better. Its just ive done so much myself already i hate giving it up for someone else to do. I guess window tint isn't a huge thing though... Anyone know any reputable places in/around Toronto?

Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 AM
2nd Gear

I tinted my frineds 89 volvo station wagon and it came out alright.

just make sure you have a flat edge, very clean windows and soapy water. youll also need a razor and patients.

We tinted the windows at night which i suggest you do not do bucause youll have so many flashlights everywhere it will be ridiculous. It was a lot of fun though and who cares if you mess up on a 89 stationwagon.

Also, all the windows were striaght up and down and im pretty sure curved tilted windows like our back window will be a PITA bigtime!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

Pay the $275 and get it done by a professional. Well worth the money and time saved. Go to the local Audi car club forum and look at their sponsors. I have used four of the sponsors here in STL and have had great success. I used the Audi Car Club sponsors for window tinting, dent removal, rim repair and new tires.

Cheers

Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM

I've done it to both of my cars. 99 A4 1.8T And an 03 honda element. i will tell you this you better have patients if you are gping to do it yourself. the other thing i would do is have a second person the to help you place it on the window. tip of advice, only place a small amount on the window at a time. start at the top smooth it out to get rid of all the bubbles. then begin to move down. do this for every quarter of the windows length. when you have it the film fully on the window, it will bubble up. this is where you need to take your time and just work at it. just keep pushing the bubbles down and to the side. if you get a self tinting film from pepboys or any other place the stuff is sold, read the directions twice before you start. this way you know exactly what to do. it really isn't that hard, just takes time and patients. Also very big and important make sure that you do it on a day where it is warm out side or let your car run for like 20-30 minutes with the heat on. the films sticks better when the windows are warm. don't use a heat gun. causes bubbles.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:48 PM

window tint is a bitch it would be worth the $200 just to save the stress and on top of that you have to wait for the perfect day to do it or it will bubble