Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Clear Corners

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Default Clear Corners

Ok, so I know so many people ask about taking the ambers out and stuff.
I don't trust myself doing it, so I finally found a guy. It's like 75 bucks, but it's not even about the money.

My dad's freaking out because the guy said to take apart my headlights he needs to bake them in an oven to melt the glue or something then take the ambers off. I don't know the first thing about headlights, but does this method sound bad?

The guy's business is headlights so I feel like he knows what hes talknig about, but my dads just nervous about something happening to the headlights and having to pay mucho bucks to get them replaced.

Thoughts?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear

I'll say that I have heard of people baking off the lenses to either remove the amber, paint the housing black etc. I'll refrain from trying to explain how to do it since you don't want to do it yourself.

Basically, the guy will put the headlights in an oven (or whatever he has) for a few minutes to soften the sealant/glue. He'll then pull the lenses off, do what he needs to do with the amber and then re-seal them using clear silicone.

The only thing I would be worried about is how thorough of a job he will do when re-sealing them. If there's too much sealant, you may be able to see it in the headlight and it'll look bad. If not enough is used, condensation can develop within the headlight.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM

yeah thanks a lot for the input. ill see what im gunna do. I guess if the guy does this for a business he'll be careful enough to put the right amount of sealant on at the end.