Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

gonna debadge tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Default gonna debadge tomorrow...

so ive heard different of different ways...
but im thinking of going with heating up the badges with a hair dryer...then going at them with a flathead wrapped with a towel so i dont scratch the paint.

but what im affraid of is when there off.
i was told i have to use rubbing compound after to match up the paint,
but i wanted to know if anyone knows of what products i should buy.
or any other way i should tackle this.

any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

don't use a flathead... use fishing line... the thinner the better, but make sure it's strong enough so go with like 20lb line or sumthin around there. my friend and i used the blow dryer method on his Jetta and my A8, so it works... just make sure you have some Goo Be Gone or Resolve around to help remove the remaining adhesive without damaging your car.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 AM
1st Gear

I de-badged my S4 last weekend. I used a heat gun, and fishing line. To get the crappy glue off W/O messing the paint job USE 3M Rubbing Compound!!!!!! I wouldn't use Goo Be Gone, these alcohol based products are known for taking off the clear coat. Let me tell you, grab two beers after you get the badges off, you will be there for a while getting that sh*t off. It took me like 45 minutes to get mine super clean. Remember to rub in circles (Not super important, but it's the best practice). Late response but hey; better late than never. Maybe you procrastinated a bit mM?

Old 10-26-2008, 05:23 AM

idk it its too late. but yea dont use the screwdriver thing. i tried that and it scratched it a lil. fishing line and some goo gone or something should do it. it will just take a while so be patient! lol

Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 AM

did it...with fishingline and some crap called oops. it worked....but then there were like some edges.....so i used rubbing compound to try to smooth it down a lil, and it made it a lil dull. tried some pollishing compound after, and it didnt do much.... i think i might just spend the extra money and get my whole car detailed. maybe they'll make the dull spots shiney again.

my car looks uuuuuugly right now. i hate it. especially when i beat hondas!!!
all they see is my dull debadged ***!
it sucks.

and now i have to wait till i get paid again to take my car in.

anyone think 80 bucks is a good deal for just the outside???

Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

it looks so much better de-badged haha

just the audi rings in the middle makes it look very clean i think

meh id pay them like 25bucks just to give it a good buff with some compound mix, drive it home and wax it yourself

save you some money

Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

I used dental floss and a hairdryer. The dental floss started to melt as they were coming off but the finished product looked fine. We used simple green and goo-gone to get off the residue.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

I know when I used 3m rubbing compound it actually made the surfaces where I used it more shiny. What kind of rubbing compound did you use? You didn't mix the compound w/ any additives did you? Rubbing compound simply has nothing in it to dull surfaces... in fact, it was most likely the other product you used prior; then when switching over to rubbing compound, you buffed it out, therefore it would show how that other product may have lifted some of the clear coat. I am not familiar w/ "Oops" but I see it is water based, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have alcohol or any other chemicals that could have reacted to your clear coat. Sorry to hear about the dulling dude, but I can almost guarantee you it wasn't the rubbing compound.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM

it was turtle wax rubbing compound....and i didnt use it with anything else. i even washed the spots before i used the rubbing compound.
so i dont know what went wrong. it sucks though.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Default Wd40

A friend told me WD40 works on some of the adhesives to break them down.

Quick Reply: gonna debadge tomorrow...