Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

R8 Style LED Headlight Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Default R8 Style LED Headlight Swap

Well i bought some r8 style LED headlights and HIDs for my 2006 A4 and at first i researched the best way to replace them and it was a BIATCH...after taking off the front tires unscrewing the tire well and getting to the hard to reach bolts the bumper came right off and the lights poped right out with only three bolts...the lights were a plug and play and so were the HIDs. The HIDs were 6000K 35w i bought the Housing and the Bulds as a package deal from www.dashzracing.com with a 10% off discount. i also ordered my HID fog lights and while the fogs were a little bit more of a pain everything worked out just out fine and the process only took about 3 hours...i attached a few photos so you could check them out...let me know what you think...i think the 6000k are just right its a clean pure white light also are the fogs and look very very clean and not ugly or ricerish...so if you have any question please feel free to ask.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails R8 Style LED Headlight Swap-img00174-20100728-1355.jpg   R8 Style LED Headlight Swap-img00175-20100728-1356.jpg   R8 Style LED Headlight Swap-img00176-20100728-1752.jpg   R8 Style LED Headlight Swap-img00183-20100731-1810.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM

That's a sweet ride. I'm diggin' the LEDs, a lot. Sooner or later I'm going to put some LEDs in my headlight enclosure.

I have a question about your fog lights. I'm looking to upgrade my Audi's fog lights and I wanted to know what kind of lights your using. I think the stock for my Audi is the H3 and I was considering H11. Can you give me some insight?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
4th Gear

stick what what manufactur recommends. U could burn ur harness putting the wrong bulb in. Check ddmtuning for hid fog kits.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Yes the guy above me couldnt say it any better...i put the 35W 6,000K HID in the fogs. I got them from www.futurevisionhid.com i picked this site only because they offer a special ballast called the canbus. its special made for computerized cars that throws a fault for the head light or fog lights are out and i was doing some research on the forums and it said that regular ballast will make the car throw the fault and i dont feel like riding around and my center consol telling me i have a light out when there both working...so i just went ahead and paid the extra money and bought them right...and the ballast are very slim and small and will fit anywhere. so just a little food for thought...let me know what you decide...

Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 AM

I'll be sticking with the H3/35watt bulbs. I read up on the error messages that the cars will toss up if the regular ballasts are installed, but I didn't realize that before I posted on here. I'll probably go with something similar to your setup just to save me the headaches in the long run.

My fog lights are going in an '03 A6, and I don't think I have to remove my whole front bumper to install fog lights, so hopefully I won't have as much trouble.

One more question: how'd you mount/hide your ballasts? You mentioned they were slim. I've seen people just tape them to the backside of the front bumper.

Thanks for the advice, guys. They're really helping me get things straight.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 AM

GoBigBlue

well in order for me to even replace my lights i had to take the bumper of and it was much easyer to hide all the wires and ballest while the bumper was off so if you want to hide everything easy and save your self the "headache" then i prefer you take that bumper off and have zip ties ready cause it makes it very easyer to organize all the wires and place the ballast in the right spot where it wont get wet or get jared around to much...i stuck mine to the bumper with the provided 3M double sized tape and there was a spot that i could run a zip tie to so im double protected just incase time takes its toll...any other question please fell free to ask.