Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Tinting Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:35 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tinting Help

I have mine as 19%, it looks real hot dude, like i think tints are wat make a car look the best, it changes so much in look, but think about the police and their tickets, those BASTARDS!

Old 05-18-2004, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

I saw my state laws say F 70 B 70 R Any, what does that mean in relation to percentage

Old 05-18-2004, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Mehurrman

I have mine as 19%, it looks real hot dude, like i think tints are wat make a car look the best, it changes so much in look, but think about the police and their tickets, those BASTARDS!
Id love to see a picture

Old 05-19-2004, 04:38 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: absltcit33

I saw my state laws say F 70 B 70 R Any, what does that mean in relation to percentage

what state is that? Looks like 70% front and 70% back and any% rear
the lower the percentage the less light passes through.
Its a percentage of light that can pass through the glass.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

you better hope that its not true because 70 is not even a tint, because dont stock audis have some type of tint?

Old 05-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Site Moderator

Some states do have 70% tint laws (ie. Rhode Island, California, D.C.)
State Tint Laws - You need Adobe Acrobat Reader

Old 05-19-2004, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear

70% is a way for the state to allow the "natural" factory tint within the windows to pass inspection. Most factory glass has a tint from 90% down to 74%. Thus any light meter will register above 70% on any factory glass, but if tint were added, then the net result would be below 70% and the glass would fail inspection.

For peace of mind, let me know what state you're in and I will double check for you what the law specifically says.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

I have a question.
I was unsure whether i should get limo tint (like Pitch black, which i know is illegal) or as my car is going to be re sprayed cherry black and my interior is a light cream colour leather... should i get a tint that is completely see through, so it shows off my interior more??? which i think will look great contrasting with the black exterior.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Also can you get tint that protects your interior but is absolutely clear! as if you have no tint at all?

Old 05-20-2004, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

I have a question.
I was unsure whether i should get limo tint (like Pitch black, which i know is illegal) or as my car is going to be re sprayed cherry black and my interior is a light cream colour leather... should i get a tint that is completely see through, so it shows off my interior more??? which i think will look great contrasting with the black exterior.

Also can you get tint that protects your interior but is absolutely clear! as if you have no tint at all?

Old 05-20-2004, 04:10 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: fresh1

I have a question.

Limo tint (or 5% as it is known) is not recommended. It is extremely dark and will severely reduce your vision at night - to the point of being all out dangerous. 15% is even too dark for safety in my opinion.

50% tint is practically clear to the naked eye. The better quality 50% tints provide 99% UV protection - the best you can get. Many installers carry 50%, but they don't like to install it because it is very thin and difficult to install. They will probably push the next darker % they carry just to get away from the hassle they will have to endure.

IMHO: I'd get a charcoal tint in the 30 - 40% tint range (for the exterior and interior description of your car). The tint will match well with the cherry black, but the light interior will still show through and get attention in a subtle way.

Quick Reply: Tinting Help