Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

VHT Night shade on tails

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:41 PM
1st Gear
Default VHT Night shade on tails

Does anyone have any experience using VHT night shade on their tail lights?
If so how did you do yours? I've read about using an adhesion promotor beforehand but there are a lot of varying opinions out there.

Long story short, and info helps. a DIY would be a dream come true.

I know there are quite a few people on here that are opposed to blacking out and smoking tail lights,but I'm just looking for some info.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear

nightshades works, so does a thin coat of auto paint. You won't need an adhesion promoter. Just wipe them down real well and scuff the surface with a scuff pad for tooth. My only complaint about the VHT product is that you MUST clear over top of it. Otherwise it will look dull and shitty. That's why I just did mine with ppg black(2 passes), then coats of clear. And yeah, some people don't like tinted tails. But on a black car, it looks awesome.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. Awesome looking TT by the way.

This may seem like a stupid question but did you remove the lights and do it or just tape off the car around the light?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

i did mine and a little lighter than in those pics. . Basically you can control how dark they are by the number of coats. So i did mine slightly darker but still look stock unless stock ones are beside them and then you can really tell. I think it gives it a more sporty and classy look. Thats my personal opinion but i'm very happy and have has them on since february with no tickets or scratching on them. heres a before and after when i put them on. P.s. Don't mind the stance because the car was up on a jack in the front right and makes the car look retarded here lol

before:
Name:  Audi029-1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  111.4 KB

after:
Name:  Audi003.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  149.5 KB

Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by sharper911
Thanks. Awesome looking TT by the way.
Thanks

Originally Posted by sharper911
This may seem like a stupid question but did you remove the lights and do it or just tape off the car around the light?
I took mine out. its much easier to tape off the lights off of the car. Not to mention the over spray would be a pain in the ***.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 PM

With vht be sure to spray evenly and I completely agree with spraying clear coat over them. It all comes down to personal preference though, some people like the dull look and prefer vht for that very reason

Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 AM
1st Gear

It can look very shiny when you use VHT and then follow with a couple coats of clear coat. I wanted it shinier so i went over it with rubbing compound lightly to smooth it out and then took Meguires Stage 2 polish. After that i followed it with the Stage 3 carnuaba wax and buffed it. Then it look like a factory finish and still is like that after 8 months.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear

I don't know about anyone else, but a year later and my VHT has all but faded away.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 AM
1st Gear

Did you have a couple layers of clear coat on top?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

How many layers of nite shades do you suggest using?

I'm probably going to go over it just once with an enamel clear coat, then probably rubbing compound, polishing compound, and then wax like you've suggested.

Quick Reply: VHT Night shade on tails