Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Window Tinting - good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Default Window Tinting - good or bad idea?

I just picked up my A3 last week and purchased the dealer add-on for window tinting. I haven't had it installed yet and am now reconsidering. Has anyone had experience with aftermarket window tinting? How long does it last (i.e. will it peel/flake)? Any issues with tinting the rear window with the inlaid defrost wires?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
4th Gear

as long as they know what they are doing u should be fine. Just make sure one that it has a lifetime warranty and when they install u check it for bubbles or creases. If so make then redo it. most tint shops say if u get a peel or crack they will replace it for free. plus it makes the car cooler in summer and u get a lil privacy depending on the shade u go. I got 5% all the way round

Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 PM

I had tint done on my A3 , and it came out pretty good. It was actually the first tint I ever had done on a car, so it was sort of big deal for me, since I had no experience with it in the past. Here in LA you cannot legally get the front 2 windows tinted, so I did not want to get a super dark tint on only the rear windows, thought it would look silly. However the tint I got done cuts down on summer heat and looks good. Just make sure you go somewhere recommended by others, overall tinting is cheap( like $125 or so) so make sure you get it done right.....

Old 01-09-2009, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

5%?! Wow that is dark... I was thinking about getting 20% on my black USP... but haven't yet. As long as you have it installed by the dealer or a respectable tinter you should be fine. Are they installing it at the dealership? What tint percentage are they using? I think it would look just fine.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 AM

i say do it looks so good with it check the laws tho llike me in missouri its illegal to have less than 35% in the front 2 windows and in illinois its illegal to have them at all but i dont give a rats *** about that so i have every window tinted 5% and my entire front windshield tinted 35% its badass as for the tint make sure the comany uses lumibar/solargaurd tint film best there is for the film and check for quality ie bubble carck creases anything dirt anything

Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 AM
4th Gear

yea the 5% u cant see through durning they day or night. Where i live the cops dont give a rats *** on tint. even alot of the cop cars have 5% on them so i no worries here. Only draw back is having to roll down my windows at night when i back up but no big deal when the temp in summer is about 96 with humidity at 100% and heat index at 110 the tint sure does help.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

YEa window tint looks amazing and brings out alot of class in your car. When you do it youll notice a big difference and be very happy you did do it.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

I would say do it for sure... I just don't know about 5%. I haven't ever seen it on an audi before... change my mind though! I need some ideas for my tint...

Old 01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

look at my photo album and u will se 5%

Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
1st Gear
Talking Tinting

It's a good idea to at least check on the laws so you'll know what you're breaking! Most tinter's can tell you what the regs are. Like others said, in most areas the cops have better things to do but it wouldn't hurt to ask about it.
5% is seriously deep ("limo", or I prefer "gangsta", tint). Way beyond what you need to cut down on heat build up in the car. I saw a nice dealer demo A8L, dark blue exterior and fully loaded and absolutely gorgeous inside, but they had a 5% tint all around (not windshield) and I thought it cheapened the whole look of the car. They might as well finished the look with chrome rims!
Bottom line-to each his own and good luck!

Quick Reply: Window Tinting - good or bad idea?