Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the new forums here.

Can we get some REAL moderators around here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 AM
2nd Gear
Default Can we get some REAL moderators around here?

I'm sick of there being a complete lack of moderation around here, can we actually get somebody on the moderation staff who visits the site more than once a week? I have been the administrator of multiple sites/forums over the years and they have never gotten this bad.

For the past two/three days there have been vulgar posts in the Exterior section (here: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/exterior-31/) As for a record of these posts, here is a picture of the 17 threads that have been completely tainting this forum all the while losing reputation of our fellow audi-forum sites (audizine, audiworld):

Last edited by nm3210; 08-08-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Senior Administrator

+1

There does seem to be a lack of attention by the Mods. Case in point, THIS GUY:
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sea...earchid=796032

He's ALL OVER the place, spamming up a storm. I've been back for two days and I found his track in enough places to look him up.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm make believe

I guess you didnt realize that the 17 post are all done withen a couple hours and in a VERY low traffic area. There isnt any mods that visit every last section at every point in the day. Some of us have lives or dont frequent the forum like we used to. If you come across a spam thread (or more), just PM it to a mod since we are not fully aware of every thread in every section. As a person who runs his own forum, its hard to stop people making numerous names and as one gets banned, they use another. It takes a good amount of work to keep up with those IP's that get banned and moving them to a file that will not allow them to use the IP again and reregister. Even on a small forum it takes way to much time

Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM

not to be a d*ck, but if you search "new posts" you dont need to check every section

but I agree that spammers are nearely impossible to stay in front of, it comes with the territory

Old 08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm make believe

We dont go out searching for spam, just take care of it when we come across it

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 PM
4th Gear

There is a thing in the vBulletin forums call 'One Touch Ban and Clean'. Its great. The mods/admins just click on the guys name, and in the list of 'veiw, send, find, etc' also is 'Ban and Clean'. Click it, and the person is banned for life, and ALL his posts are deleted. Works great.. have it on a couple of forums I admin/mod. You can set it up to IP ban too. Though I found you gotta be careful there - I accidently block all of the VIA company from thier own forums

Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by cincyTT
I guess you didnt realize that the 17 post are all done withen a couple hours and in a VERY low traffic area. There isnt any mods that visit every last section at every point in the day. Some of us have lives or dont frequent the forum like we used to. If you come across a spam thread (or more), just PM it to a mod since we are not fully aware of every thread in every section. As a person who runs his own forum, its hard to stop people making numerous names and as one gets banned, they use another. It takes a good amount of work to keep up with those IP's that get banned and moving them to a file that will not allow them to use the IP again and reregister. Even on a small forum it takes way to much time
Cincy, I'm wit ya, mon frere. Useta be a Mod here on AF a couple years ago, myself, so I know. Mods cant be everywhere, everytime. But, bigbon555 has touched a LOT of threads in a LOT of areas, high and low traffic. And, yes, I did PM one of the Admins about him, but he's still active. NONE of his posts is worth ANYTHING. ALL spam! If the Mods & Admins are too busy with their personal lives to Mod & Admin the boards, pass the baton. Add some more, even. There are users who do get around the threads. Promote them. Having more doesn;t water down the mighty MOD=powers, as long as you choose carefully. Pick peeps like yourself, Jeff, and others who are able to wield the power without injecting too much of their personal prejudices (we ALL have them, but, it's how we address them that makes the difference).

I'm just sayin'

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
There is a thing in the vBulletin forums call 'One Touch Ban and Clean'. Its great. The mods/admins just click on the guys name, and in the list of 'veiw, send, find, etc' also is 'Ban and Clean'. Click it, and the person is banned for life, and ALL his posts are deleted. Works great.. have it on a couple of forums I admin/mod. You can set it up to IP ban too. Though I found you gotta be careful there - I accidently block all of the VIA company from thier own forums
Im fully aware of this. HOWEVER, banning them and wiping away all of their posts/threads, they can still rejoin and do it again. We as mods on this forum have 0 powers. We can remove the posts but only a Admin can ban someone and good luck having them ban the IP. BTW, good luck finding an active admin on this forum. Main reason why on my forum, my mods have these powers so we dont have to mess with the same spammer again.

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Cincy, I'm wit ya, mon frere. Useta be a Mod here on AF a couple years ago, myself, so I know. Mods cant be everywhere, everytime. But, bigbon555 has touched a LOT of threads in a LOT of areas, high and low traffic. And, yes, I did PM one of the Admins about him, but he's still active. NONE of his posts is worth ANYTHING. ALL spam! If the Mods & Admins are too busy with their personal lives to Mod & Admin the boards, pass the baton. Add some more, even. There are users who do get around the threads. Promote them. Having more doesn;t water down the mighty MOD=powers, as long as you choose carefully. Pick peeps like yourself, Jeff, and others who are able to wield the power without injecting too much of their personal prejudices (we ALL have them, but, it's how we address them that makes the difference).

I'm just sayin'
Like you know, Mods cant do much and Jeff doesnt own a AUdi anymore and there is maybe only one active admin on here. This forum has go down hill due to the lack of admin help and mod power along with the continuing of newb questions that go on and on even though the same thread is on the first page

Old 08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
4th Gear

Well, repetitive newbie questions are a fact of forum life. Every forum goes through it. If you dont answer them and try to help, though, the reputation of the forum will go down.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by cincyTT

Like you know, Mods cant do much and Jeff doesnt own a AUdi anymore and there is maybe only one active admin on here. This forum has go down hill due to the lack of admin help and mod power along with the continuing of newb questions that go on and on even though the same thread is on the first page
Is Amanda still around?!?!? Or, did she move up and out?

BTW, I already "found you 'there'" (from your siggy)

Quick Reply: Can we get some REAL moderators around here?