General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"thud" when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Default "thud" when shifting

I'm new to the forums, so please let me know if I am doing this wrong- I have already done a search for this problem as well.

So, I just got my '01 A4 1.8T about two weeks ago, 71k miles on it; everything stock. Already had the clutch (standard Audi clutch) and timing belt done within that time. Okay, so here is the problem.....When I shift from any gear, or from a dead stop going into first, there is a slight "thud"/bump/roughness when the clutch is fully released and the gear is engaged. I can generally divert from having this problem if I let out really slow on the clutch towards the very end. Don't get me wrong, I've had an Audi ('87 Quattro CS) before, and driven a manual all my life, so I know how to drive. By doing this, I feel as though I am just "riding the clutch" in a sense and only suceeding in wearing it out that much quicker. Is this something normal? Do I just need to let the clutch out slowly like this? On the search feature, someone mentioned a new snub??

Although I am a noob, I can't get enough of this forum and hope to be enlightened by one of you vets. Keep in mind, I am basically useless when it comes to diy/mechanical knowledge.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:43 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: "thud" when shifting

Sounds like your snub mount, or maybe your trans/engine mounts are failing.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick response 2k S4. So, how envasive are these possibilities? Expensive?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: kingtut
Thanks for the quick response 2k S4. So, how envasive are these possibilities? Expensive?
There all some labor to change. Best bet take it back to the shop to did the work & ask them to look into it.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

will do- I am a little weary though...had the work done at a nearby dealership. Oddly enough, they were cheaper than the independent I've been to in the past (who I'm having second thoughts about now too-kind of a dick).....850.00 for timing belt, water pump, and tensioner at dealership-

I'll see what they say, and keep you guys posted.

Also, if anyone in Denver, CO area has any advice.......

thanks again!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear

When you do the TB, the front comes off, where the snub is, maybe it fell of, or came of. Either way, they should look at it for free.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Right on......I've got a call in to the dealership, waiting to hear back from them. I think they also did something with my rear differential too?? Like I said, I'm a total dumb*** when it comes to cars, so I'll have to look at the paperwork to make sure. Thanks for the help on this 2k, it helps to know that they would have been right by it when doing the TB. I greatly appreciate your insight-

Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 PM
4th Gear

2k s4 how do you know if a mount is failing i got the same problem, i usually just duoble clutch to avoid it but plan on gettting new tranny mounts this summer and doing the labor myself since its not too hard, im more worrie about replacing the engine mounts since the top bolts are hidden by the manifold.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi
2k s4 how do you know if a mount is failing i got the same problem, i usually just duoble clutch to avoid it but plan on gettting new tranny mounts this summer and doing the labor myself since its not too hard, im more worrie about replacing the engine mounts since the top bolts are hidden by the manifold.
Some actually leak fluid, that is a dead give away. For the trans mounts it's hard, one side will get shorter, & the other side will get longer causing the trans to tilt a little. From under the car, you might notice it, but most of the time, it's when the mounts are side by side out of the car.

If you put a trans brace on there, it will really help tighten up shifting & take some stress off the mounts.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Just to follow up, which I've heard others say (as well as myself), it annoys the hell out of them when you find the exact thread discussion you are looking for, then it just stops-

Anyway, I never went back to the dealership because I knew they would "find" some sort of other "problem" that would cost $$$$....The thud is still there at times, I've just been making sure not to drive the car very hard, and shifting easy. I recently got the clutch replaced, so I don't know if the thud was just the new clutch breaking in (is that even possible??). I have noticed that when I start my car after it has been sitting overnight, the engine will shake a bit for about 10-30 seconds. Also, when I feel/hear the thud when shifting, it seems to be in the rear of the car.

A little OT, but I have about 72k miles on the car. Sometimes it seems to misfire when in first or second gear....spark plugs? Also, it could shift a bit smoother.....trans fluid? Hopefully, I can get these things done soon and see what happens.

Quick Reply: "thud" when shifting