General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"thud" when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: "thud" when shifting

Just to be the dumb as$... Doesn't the driver make or break the shift? I know a lot of manual drivers that clunk every single shift, but i do understand mechanical error. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Duburban, I agree that the driver does make or break the shift, but as I stated at the beginning of the thread, I know how to drive- I also, know people that clunk every shift, but they are generally driving some rice-burner that doesn't skip a step with horrible treatment.

Anyway, had the trans mounts looked at, and they are fine-

Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM

lets say that's down to driver skill but is there a problem nevertheless ( has the slave cylinder got a leak? is it hard to get into any gear? is the clutch slipping?

Old 05-18-2007, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

No, it isn't hard to get into any gear- My clutch used to slip, then I had a standard clutch put in by the dealership within the past 500 miles (go figure, but they were cheaper than the local audi shop I was using).

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would the flywheel have anything to do with it? I asked the dealership if it needed a new flywheel and they said no. I asked them how they could tell without having the transmission pulled (which is what I was told by someone else), and the guy at the dealership said the technician had thirty some odd years of audi repair under his belt and could tell....Also, wouldn't they have tried to get me to replace the master and slave clutch cylinders at the same time if they were doing the clutch too? They are the stealership!? Anyway, I'm pretty much talking out of my *** right now-

Like I said before, the thud doesn't happen very often, but since this is a new car to me I was concerned and didn't want a possible problem going on without being recognized.

Thanks to everyone for your input, I'll let you know if the problem persists or gets worse-

Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: duburban

Just to be the dumb as$... Doesn't the driver make or break the shift? I know a lot of manual drivers that clunk every single shift, but i do understand mechanical error. Good luck!
that is true, but my car hast he same thud thing and its only in 1st and 2nd gear and 3,4,5 are good, i doubt im good in the latter gears and crappy in the first 2. also i do have some difficulty getting into 1st and 2nd so im pretty sure i need new mounts.well this summer will tell when i install 034 track density mounts.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Just an update....

Eventually, it became very hard to get into gear--mainly first, then the rest were to follow.

Problem: Bad Clutch---there was a crack in the clutch plate between two of the springs-

Old 06-18-2007, 02:50 PM

thanks for the feed back and glad its fixed, very hard to solve these problems over the net

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

Hey i have the same problem in my 01 A4 as Kingtut. Im kinda a newbie and wanted to know where the mounts were and where to get them.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:40 AM
4th Gear

well there are 2 mounts attached to the tranny easy to see if your under there and pretty easy to remove, the 2.8s as far as i know have the same mount on both sides the 1.8t has a different mount the driver side believe. i got my mounts from 034motorsport.com. really good guys, i opted for the track density. very little more vibrations and pretty easy to shift into 2nd even when taking to red line. make sure you have a mount problem, i took a leap of faith and as soon as i pulled the old mounts one fo them came out broken in 2. try changing the tranny fluid before the mounts.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Sounds like you really need to find a trust worthy german car mechanic. Their expertise if loyal is invaluable.

Quick Reply: "thud" when shifting