General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'01 A4 1,8T MT Engine replaced, Car doesn't crank/start ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear
Default '01 A4 1,8T MT Engine replaced, Car doesn't crank/start ?

Hey!

First of all Hi @ all! I'm new on the Forums and I hope I can learn alot from you guys!

Now my problem. A friend of mine drove his 01 A4 1,8 T Manual without having any Oil Pressure (the Oil light was on). He figured he can make it home, but his Engine died on the way; Engine is gone....

Me and some buddies decided to replace his Engine (we have some Mechanical knowledge ) and so we got a used Engine from a Junkyard....

The original Engines engine Code was ATW 015 086 (the Number on the Valve Cover)
The replacements Engine engine Code is ATW 040 715

I was told that the Code "ATW" is the only important and necessary Code to know about your Engine, since there are 2 different ones for the A4; the ATW and I think the AEB.

Anyways, the problem we have right now is that after reconnecting everything and trying to start the Car, it won't start. The Dashboard lights are coming on, but as soon as I turn the Key, all I hear is a buzzing noise coming from the drivers side of the Engine bay (sounds like somwhere by the Wiperfluid reservoir).

I was told to check the Starter connector so we all did and everything seemed to be connected. We tried to "jumpstart" the Car by jumping those 2 Starters connectors on the actual starter and guess what, the Car started to crank and it eventually started a few times.... but it doesnt run very well and it shuts off after a few seconds.

What could be the reason for the car not to start when turning the Key? I'm not even hearing any noise coming from the Fuel pump after turning the Key... Could it be some kind of Alarm System defect? I am lost here, please help me out guys!

Regards,

Old 04-05-2007, 03:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: '01 A4 1,8T MT Engine replaced, Car doesn't crank/start ?

when cranking check for spark and fuel.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

Well when I turn the Key it doesn't crank at all.... the Fuel line that runs on top of the Valve cover is not stiffening out once I turn the Key (it supposed to stiff out due to the Fuel pressure...but Im going to get a Pressure tester to make sure).... Since the Car is not cranking at all, there arent any sparks anyways, am I right?

Could it be that the ECU of the Car doesnt like the new Engine, eventhough both have the same Engine Code?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:17 PM

if the immobilizer was being activated, the car would start even if you did just the positive to the s terminal on the starter like you said you did. I'm pretty sure the immobilizer will disable spark and fuel. And if you have no fuel pressure how can the car start at all?

Old 04-05-2007, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

Hey!

What is an immobilizer?

The car started and ran for a few seconds, but than shut off on me again, so I guess I do have fuel pressure... like i said, I dont have a fuel pressure gauge yet so I was guessing that I dont have any fuel pressure, becuase the fuel line running on top of the valve cover wasnt stiffening out when turning the key.

Could it be an ECU problem?

Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

Have you hooked it up to Vag-Com to see if there are any codes? I'm also thinking you may have the wrong ECU in there.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

OK, we just checked the Fuel Pressure and it does have Fuel Pressure! Its just not cranking..

What is an Immobilizer and how can I turn it ON/OFF?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Shizzle

OK, we just checked the Fuel Pressure and it does have Fuel Pressure! Its just not cranking..

Jump 12v to the fuel pump, see if the car runs like that. I would also check the FP fuse & relay.

Again, have you checked for any codes?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

Have you hooked it up to Vag-Com to see if there are any codes? I'm also thinking you may have the wrong ECU in there.

Hey

What is Vag-Com? If you are talking about a ScanTool, I did check it and it gave me a CamShaft Circuit problemcode....

I could get the ECU from a 2000 A4 1,8T ATW for very cheap. Is that ECU compatible with the 01 A4 1,8 T Quattro my buddy has?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

ORIGINAL: Shizzle

Jump 12v to the fuel pump, see if the car runs like that. I would also check the FP fuse & relay.

Again, have you checked for any codes?
As I said, Fuel Pressure is fine, the Car just randomly shuts off on me...?

Quick Reply: '01 A4 1,8T MT Engine replaced, Car doesn't crank/start ?