General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'01 A6 4.2L Quattro TRANSMISSION issue??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
1st Gear
Default '01 A6 4.2L Quattro TRANSMISSION issue??

I've seen this issue mentioned across various forums, but it never gets any good discussions going.

I've an '01 A6 4.2L Quattro w/ automatic triptonic transmission. If I don't come to a complete stop before getting back on the throttle the engine spins but the car doesn't accelerate like it should. It's like the tranny doesn't engage fully or it's in the wrong gear. Then, if I pump the throttle a bit or just floor it, the car snaps into shape and performs as expected. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

I've heard that you can re-program the engine and transmission separately. I'm out of warranty on this car so I'd actually consider doing this. Can anyone recommend anything or share any experiences with regard to modding the software that controls the engine and tranny on an A6 4.2L Quattro?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 10-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: '01 A6 4.2L Quattro TRANSMISSION issue??

Thats hard as hell to diagnose, you first have to check for DTC's in the TCM (transmission control module) and then take it from there.
You could have wiring problems, a bad TCM, stuck shift solinoid, valve body problems, dirty fluid, or abad torque converter.
Check the DTC's in the TCM first then post back the codes.
Yes you can chip the TCM, its callled a TIP CHIP.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: '01 A6 4.2L Quattro TRANSMISSION issue??

Auditech, I really do appreciate any discussion on this topic. So thanks!

My mechanic hooked up a diag tool to the car and said the codes that were setting off the check engine light were sensors (probably O2). However, no codes specifically pointing to the transmission. I'm such a newb that I don't know what DTC's are (diagnostic test codes?), but I don't think my mechanic specifically checked the TCM for anything. I'm really thinking of just getting this TIP CHIP you are talking about and see what happens thereafter. This is something that I was planning on doing first as far as mods anyway. It may be the only mod I do. I don't think I'm alone not really digging how this car shifts in it's stock setup. Other than that the car friggin rocks.

Thanks again,
Brian