General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1.8t crank but no start need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 AM
1st Gear
Default 1.8t crank but no start need help ASAP

Hello everybody

well yesterday evening the car was driving and all was good I got back home park the car in the drive way and in the morning the car crank but refuses to start up tried to spray this spray for starting the car to the intake but no success there, connected vag-com found no code. What else can go bad and how to check it

Please I need the car running as it’s my only car (by the way it’s 2002 A6 with 1.8T European ver.)

Any ideas are more than welcome; please let me know if you need any more info

Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

try to simplify the problem , it cranks right but without starting, did you check on the fuel, maybe the guage is faulty and you have no fuel. are you sure is there is no fault recorded when you check through the tester. any additional info you can provide. is the turbo charger hose connected?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:48 AM
1st Gear

well i did a few tests here is the results:

speed sensor: ok
spark: ok
fuel pump: didn't hear its starting so removed the cover in the trunk disconnected the electrical connection and discovered when key is out it receive about 3V when cranking 12V

so by the look of thing looks like the fuel pump is bad but what i cant understand is why the car doesn't start when is spry into the intake manifold

any ideas

Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Smile

yes thats right, the fuel pump recieves a volt of 3V when you open your door, when cranking it goes up to 12 and signal is sent through the electric pump CU to the ECU. your problem should be in low fuel pressure side, which is from the electric pump in the tank to the fuel filter to the common rail. you can't check the pressure of the pump which should be 7 bar unless the car starts. so try to disconnect the fuel line that comes from the pump to the engine, just remove the engine cover and you will find it on the top, disconnect it with the ignition switch off and after you do that, switch on the ignition without cranking , if an amount of fuel comes out , so there should be no fault in the fuel pump or the fuel filter .else replace the pump first with a new fuel filter and check.
the spray you are using is only a chemical substance that ignites the mixture quickly , however since there is no fuel supply your car won't start.

try it and keep me posted

Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

in addition if voltage is supplied to the pump as you said. just to check , look at the fuel pump fuse which should be on the left side of the dash panel , it should like 30A.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 AM
1st Gear

well fuel pump fuse shows same as at the pump, I also tried to connect a direct 12v to the pump (I have small 12v 5Ah to terminals 1 & 4) and the pump didn’t started to work the strange thing about this spray is that I used it ones when I run out of fuel and didn’t know what happened because the fuel level sensor stuck so I was spraying to the intake manifold and the car worked ones I stopped spraying it stopped so I think that my spray can be used as a fuel and that’s why I can’t understand why the car does not start is there any kind of sensor, relays, or fuses I can check which can prevent the car from starting.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

as long the pump is not working you need to replace it first. There are few sensors to check on but if you wanna check, check the fuel pressure sensor on the low pressure side, mostly you caan see it before the common rail with two pin connector