General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 A4 2.8L Quattro - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Default 1995 A4 2.8L Quattro - Questions

I have an A4 2.8L Quattro petrol manual saloon (bit of a mouthfull - but to distingiush from the Avant or 1.8t)
What I would like to know is, what is the difference between the model I have and the 1.8t. Which is the better model?
Secondly, the analogue clock just under the rev counter - how the f.. do I change it? I have tried all the buttons and the manual doesn't mention the clock there at all. Its getting on my **** as the daylight saving time kicked in recently.
Final question, I was dragged across a three laned road by my dog who wanted to hump another dog on the other side and my car keys fell out of my pocket and were subsequently run over (the keys not the dog or me!!!) by a car. The car does not like my master key anymore and I only have a ordinary spare key left. Any idea how much Audi will charge for a new key or a couple of keys? Can anyone else do it or does it have to be Audi.

Thanks for you time.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:01 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: 1995 A4 2.8L Quattro - Questions

What in the world is a salon audi? Post some pictures!

To change the clock hold down the button and the hands will move.

Audi can cut keys based upon your VIN number.

Old 11-28-2004, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

the analog clock .... should change if you slightly pull out the button under the the clock and hold it there.

if you have a regular style key than any one can make a copy but if you have the one where it scrols down the center then you have to get it from the dealer. you can also look on ebay they usualy have blanks for sale

Old 11-30-2004, 07:14 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the clock info. Dont know why I didn't try pulling the button out slightly. I know left and right is for the dimming the lights on the dash and if I push it in it for a computer check of the check (or something like that)

Old 11-30-2004, 07:18 AM
1st Gear

In response to Jestnomen, a saloon car (not salon) is a normal four door car. Thats what we call it on the European side of the pond - well in england and Ireland anyway. I was trying to differenciate the model from the avantgarde estate (or stationwagon I think the yanks call it!)
I will stick a few photos up if I can get my connection to the computer working

Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 AM
6th Gear

Ops, i said push, when i meant pull (clock).

Ok now I get it:

Your saloon = our sedan
avantgarde = stationwagon (even though we call them avants.)

Old 11-30-2004, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

I was thinking all morning what our saloon cars are called in the States - I coundn't think of the word 'Sedan' - thanks for clarifying!
We actually call your 'stationwagons' our 'estates' not avantgardes - I think advantgarde only applies to Audi - althought I am sure I will be corrected by someone on that.

Any thoughts on the first question I posed? Which is the better model - 2.8Quattro or a 1.8t or a 1.9t?

cheers

Old 11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
6th Gear

Hehe, sorry we have digressed from the original question. It depends on what you want from the car. If you would like to modify the car for more power then the 1.8T is the way to go. Lot's of mods out there to increase horsepower. If you don't desire to do that, then stick with a 2.8 as there are not very many mods.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

I think I will stick with my 2.8Q. Its a great car and I dont really want to modify it. Its fast enough for city driving and when I do take it out on the motorway (your freeway???) It preforms quite well there as well. I have taken her to 220kmh / 135mph - I know miles per hour from being Irish and living in Ireland but its all in KMH here in Portugal. Not that I condone speeding (I think I have to say that - read that somewhere in the T&Cs when registering)

I must take some photos of the car but its always parked in underground car parks in the office or else at home so the light isn't the best for taking photos.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Oh yeah - I have another question - when I hit 170kmh / 105mph in the car, some smart *** beep kicks in to let me know - as if its a back seat driver just reminding me I am doing that particular speed. I know I can turn off the onboard computer but I like the idea of having the computer turned on for real warnings like low fuel, low oil etc. Any ideas of how to turn it off or increase the speed limit for the beeping. Again nothing is mentioned in the manual.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: 1995 A4 2.8L Quattro - Questions