General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 a4 1.8t quattro automatic no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 a4 1.8t quattro automatic no reverse

Audi a4 quattro 1.8t automatic
My reverse just stopped working
No clunk no grind no nothin just started car and shifted to reverse ...and nothing!
all selectors on the dash are lit
waiting for a vag reader to come via mail so no codes

Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: 1997 a4 1.8t quattro automatic no reverse

If all the gear selectors on the dash are lit up the tranny is in limp mode, so its more than likely the transmission range switch thats acting up not the transmission.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

I just got my vag scanner
codes 00293 and 00526
when first cleared they stayed cleared for a day or so....had reverse
then it went back to limp
I can clear the codes then if i'm fast enough start the car and shift to reverse it will work until the car is shifted to drive ...then back to limp..otherwise if i just clear the codes and wait a few seconds it codes again
i beleive it started going back to the same codes after the first success on a rainy day if that info hels
any suggestions????
JG

Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

auditech79 knows his stuff.

00293 P0705 Multi-Function Transmission Range Switch
00526Brake Light Switch - Incorrect Signal

Old 07-22-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

thanks
I got a book with the code reader that tells what each code means...but does the brake light switch have anything to do with the reverse?
and how about the multi function switch ...does the code mean it needs to be replaced? or cleaned or something else...
anyone know
i can get reverse momentarily immidiatley after clearing codes...if i start the car and quickly shift to reverse.
but as soon as i shift to drive....it goes to limp mode and no reverse again
if i just clear the codes the wait a few seconds it goes back to limp with no reverse.....
thanks
jg

Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

i had this same problem last fall, and i took it to the dealer. it cost mearound 150$ and if its cleaning up contacts ide rather do it myself.where is this swith and is it something i could repair/replace myself?

Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 PM

i am having the same problem. then all the gears were lit up and i was in limp mode. a friend ran for codes today, all i got back was a P1476. Cleared it out, and now the car is out of limp mode, but I still have no reverse. Any ideas?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

I am having the same problem.... I see this problem posted quite a number of times by people experiencing the same problem..but know good answer yet. I took my Audi A4 Quattro 1.8 to Mr. Tire, (everything was smooth as butter) and when they tried to back it out of the shop, it wouldn't go. All gear lights on, ("Limp" mode I guess) all forward gears are good, shifter moves into reverse but not engaging. Any ideas? Must be computer related or something. There is no way a transmission could be working fine, and then go up on a lift, come down and stop working. Please Help!!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Mine is giving me the same probs. EXCEPT for the all gears lit up part. with me when the car is put in park none of the lights light up but its in park though (cant budge it). in neutral it says neutral and in reverse it says neutral and is in nuetral. Drive is perfect even the tip operates perfectly all the way from first to fifth gear. As for 4th, 3rd and 2nd gear selectors... they work but show up on the dash as just drive. (I got no codes when my frat bro checked it though).

I took mine into the shop today to see what they get. Going to have to wait till later tomorrow to find out.... the fact that i drove through a foot high of water the night before (road was flooded) probably didn't help.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

You know , I have read in a few different places where people have driven through large amounts of water and had the same thing happen. Come to think of it, I directly sprayed the underbody of my car while washing itthe day before this happened... Mine is going into the shop on Monday. I found a great shop (not a dealer) that has a lot of experience with VW's and German cars. They said they just got a new fancy laptop to diagnose foreign cars. Hopefully they can find the cheapest fix!

Quick Reply: 1997 a4 1.8t quattro automatic no reverse