General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 A4 2.8 "GAS SMELL AND LEAK" help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation 1997 A4 2.8 "GAS SMELL AND LEAK" help please!

so I took my car for a drive. I got in and it smelled like gas. Really really bad gas smell. So i looked under the car, I saw something leaking, I'm assuming its the gas. It was leaking under on the right side rear of the car. The car was half tank. I drove home and the meter on the gas just was near empty?! My question is where can I buy the gas tank itself? Do I have a choice or not but to buy it from Audi dealer and have them install it? Do you guys know how much it'll cost?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

There are aftermarket places that you can get a gas tank from. But before you jump the gun have you checked to make sure its not the fuel filter or lines that are under the right rear portion of the vehicle. Also have you checked to make sure its not a cracked fuel tank seal? Fuel tanks are not cheap and independent shops can replace them but you may regret it.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Name:  fuelregulator_zps721bc0e5.png
Views: 144
Size:  29.0 KB
I've replaced only this in regards to "fuel" parts.

these are what I have on mind that may be the cause:
Name:  fuelfilter_zpsa6d91827.png
Views: 209
Size:  354.7 KB
Name:  fuelsupplyline_zpsc449f530.png
Views: 242
Size:  321.9 KB
Name:  fuelpump_zps691ce19d.png
Views: 190
Size:  130.4 KB
Name:  ScreenShot2013-03-16at111717PM_zps18b5d7bd.png
Views: 235
Size:  222.5 KB

These are the only "hints" that I know, if you know of any other hint why its leaking please inform me, so I can check the part and see how much it'll cost me.

The only thing I cannot find online is a "FUEL TANK". Do you know a website or any company that sells FUEL TANK or do I have to go directly to Audi or Volkswagon for it? If so, do you know an estimate how much that is?

I appreciate for the reply. I'm just really in need to fix my car, because this car is my daily driver. I'm in school and I work. Without a car I don't know how I'll make it.

Last edited by b5qttro97; 03-17-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

I had this same issue just not with an audi. It was with my BMW x5. Leaking on the right side rear so much that it was almost towed from Best Buy parking lot when I was in shopping. Ended up being a fuel sender (under rear seats) that a mouse happened to chew through. Don't know about your Audi but you have to find the source. Tank suddenly leaking is rare so get it to an indy shop and have them take a look before you go to the expense of replacing the tank.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

You can patch a fuel tank with JB weld or other epoxy type products if your gas tank is leaking, depending how bad and how big. Just make sure it is an isolated spot and not because your gas tank is rotting.

Any decent mechanic should be able to locate the fuel leak. I like to clean the entire area where I see fuel and put some powder like chalk or comet or something to help trace where the fuel is flowing from. Then just keep working back.

Also, you can bleed out the fuel lines and then see if you still are getting fuel leaking with the car off. If so, not likely to be a line and more likely to be the tank.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Here's a video where its leaking...I'm clueless.

I hope you guys can help me out, I think its the fuel supply line? I'm not sure, I need a second opinion.

Also, it smells gas in my car, I don't know where it's coming from. I don't know how it can even come through the inside, when the leak is outside?

Last edited by b5qttro97; 03-17-2013 at 03:45 AM. Reason: video put
Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 AM
1st Gear

I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 AM
1st Gear

My leak wasn't really on the inside of the car. You get at BMW sender from under the seats inside the car. There is a drain that allowed the gas to drip out. I can't see your leak. That's what makes finding it difficult. What you need to do is find a good independent shop in vegas that can do a smokedown test. They pressure smoke into your gas tank and then look where the smoke is escaping. Does no harm but is very effective.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bobbyp
My leak wasn't really on the inside of the car. You get at BMW sender from under the seats inside the car. There is a drain that allowed the gas to drip out. I can't see your leak. That's what makes finding it difficult. What you need to do is find a good independent shop in vegas that can do a smokedown test. They pressure smoke into your gas tank and then look where the smoke is escaping. Does no harm but is very effective.
i will definitely do that. Problem is I hope there is a shop that does that here. I'll keep note of what you said and look for a shop. I guess thats the first thing I need to do, before paying a towing company to tow the car and then get it stuck at a shop. Thank you for the heads up.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Did you find an indy mechanic yet? I saw several in LV doing a google search. Look for euro auto shops or audi auto shops. Someone should be able to smoke test your gas tank.