General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 A6 2.8 - doesn't start - cranks fine - no codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Default 1998 A6 2.8 - doesn't start - cranks fine - no codes

Well it did eventually start but let me share the problem. (oh yeah - it does have gas - and its not old gas)

- has occasionally done funky things on semi warm/warm engine that it needs a long cranking and some gassing to get going. Afterward runs fine.

- last week had problems starting - no signs of life when cranking. waited 2 min and waited with the ignition on so throttle can adjust itself. Then started on quick crank.

-no error codes. I occasionally get 0411 secondary air injection code.

so yesterday was leaving work early 0 the car had only sat for few hours. Car did not start - no matter what I did with the throttle. At best you could hear maybe one cyl. trying but mostly absolutely no sign of life. Smell plenty of gas. Waited tried etc.
In the evening came back with my wife and her corolla. With cables hooked continued exercises. At wot you could get some accelerating in cranking but not even close to starting. As wot was most promising I opened the air box in case the car was starving for air or something. No change. I had already given up but my wife insisted on trying her magic touch.

I had my fist blocking the air intake when she cranked - no help but soon after I removed my hand it started. Ran fine after. very frustrating.

Any tips or pointers would be much appreciated.