General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2 Issues with B7 RS4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default 2 Issues with B7 RS4

Hello everyone. I have a B7 ‘08 RS4, 4.2L V8. 6-speed tranny. I have two issues that I need help with. I just bought the car about a month ago and it’s currently not being driven.

Issue 1 - Power Steering

About two weeks after I purchased the RS4, i began to noticed power steering pump noise in the cab. So I went to my local auto parts store to get fluid for it. I filled it just below the max line on the cap dipstick. Then I figured the problem was solved, up until about two days later. The pump began to make the same noise like the fluid level was low again. Then it raised my suspicions. So I filled it again, drove it home, and got underneath the car with the driver’s side wheel off (left-hand drive). I noticed that the downpipe and the steering rack were soaked in this fluid. And from the look of it, its too far back from the reservoir. So I figured it can’t be a reservoir leak. Does anyone know if this may be a bad seal on the steering rack? It’s only occurring on one side of the steering rack. Or may it be just that the entire steering rack needs replaced? I was told by the seller of my RS4 that he replaced all the end links and stuff related. But that doesn’t solve my problem. So that’s the first and main issue.

Issue 2 - 2nd Gear Grind

When I bought the RS4 in the beginning of July, i was told the gears and synchros in the tranny wear replaced with new. He also told me that it has a JHM short throw shifter, a Stage 5 clutch, and a lightweight flywheel. It also has a lightweight crank pulley. I contacted him about this problem and he said it may have to do with the revs being too quick for the flywheel to disengage the clutch entirely. But if that were the case, wouldn’t it have an issue in all gears? There is lurching between 1st and 2nd, sometimes 2nd and 3rd as well. I assumed that just had to do with the torque or the touchy throttle or maybe a bad trans mount. But now it grinds almost all the time from 1st to 2nd, and 3rd to 2nd. Not only does it grind, but it refuses to go into 2nd gear. So before the power steering fluid leak was caught, I just skipped 2nd gear entirely. I was told to do a tranny fluid flush, but I believe the problem is deeper than that. Does the linkage for the shifter need adjustment? Or the clutch throw potentially? Or is it that the synchro for 2nd is badly damaged already (assuming he was honest about the tranny being rebuilt)? I don’t know. One thing also is that i’ve been accustomed to driving standard my entire life, so I doubt it’s the way I have been shifting it.

I apologize in advance to any high ranking forum members or community leaders if this post is too drawn out or extensive for the general section. I just got this car and won’t even be driving it when I make my first payment on it. I just figured it was the best place to get my questions/issues noticed and potentially answered. Thank you all!