General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 A6 quattro 2.7t low oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 quattro 2.7t low oil pressure light

I've owned the car just over two weeks. Put a power steering pump on it and a coolant temp sensor. Registered it this morning and took it on the high way for the first time. Drive it 30+ miles to work. Ran like a top for the most part. Take it to get lunch and at the stop sign the oil pressure warning comes on and beeps.I stop it instantly and shut it off. Turn it back on and is gone so I keep driving. Does it again at another stop and I do the same thing. It sits the rest of the day and I leave to go home. It's stop and go traffic. After I let off the gas to slow down it comes on again. So I pull to the birm and shut it off again. Start it back up and it's off so I keep driving. The next time I slow down it happens again, only this time I test it and wait it out. I accelerate and it goes away. Every time I would slow down it would come on and every time I would accelerate it would go away. When I got in town at the stop light it came on yet again. So I put it in neutral and ease on the gas. at 2000rpms it goes off. Did it every time I stopped. Do I have a real problem or is this just a sensor acting a fool?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

Could be some gunk on the end of the sensor where it screws into the block. Also could be some gunk in the hole in the block. I'd take it out and clean making sure to flush out any gunk in the small hole in the end of the sensor. Also take something like a Q-tip (cottonbud for you across the pond) and swap out the hole in the block. Put it back together and try again.

If it doesn't cure the problem, I'd hook up a manual gauge to the block (same hole as the sensor) and see just exactly how many PSI it's putting out. Anything over 25psi at idle is good in my book. Cold or revving, it could get up to 60-70psi. If the real PSI is good, I would go ahead an replace the sensor while you're in there.

If you haven't changed the oil in it already, run some Seafoam (fuel and oil additive) in the crankcase with the oil. Run it a day or two and change the oil and filter. The Seafoam should clean out the oil passages in the block and help things.

HTH,
Dave

Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Would you happen to know where the sensor is.
? I can't seem to find much info.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:03 PM
2nd Gear

Oil pressure sensors are usually on the side of the block and hard to get to.. However, it appears you are in luck. The parts catalog for the engine in your car shows it right above and behind the oil filter on the oil pan assembly. It should be an easy item to access from the looks of it. It's probably nasty oily around that area. If so, I'd give it a good spray of engine degreaser wash all that trash out before taking the sensor out. Also being so low on the engine, I'd have a catch pan handy just in case there is some oil up in the passage behind the sensor that might run out when you take it out.

Should look something like this.

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/ca...-a6-p-345.html

Last edited by dave944; 07-20-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

You're great Dave. Thanks a million.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

OK I can see the sensor, I think, but you have to take off the oil filter to get to it. Surprise surprise, very limited space. I thought that if I took off the hose that goes to the turbo inter cooler I might be able to access it but no... Anyhow the house was full of black oil. Probably close to half a quart. A lot of it spilled on the ground and I poured the rest in my oil drain pan. After that I could hear my turbo a lot more. Is that good or bad?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

I guess if you can hear it, it's working. LOL Did that fix the oil light issue?

Old 07-22-2015, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

No not so lucky. It only comes on when it's hot outside and the car gets up to 200°+. It was cool out this morning and in 30 miles of highway driving it never fully heated up and the light never came on. It wasn't until the drive home that it came on. I think it got up to like 85° today. I think I might drain the oil this weekend and check the sensor.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

Before you do that, get a bottle of Sea Foam where you normally buy your oil. Pour about half a bottle into the oil filler cap with the oil that is already in the car. Drive it few times. Then this weekend drain the oil and clean the sensor. Go ahead and change the filter and oil with a good synthetic. Add about half of what you have left of the Sea Foam (1/4 of a bottle) to the new oil. This will also help with additional cleaning the oil passages and internals.