General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 audi s4, few problems. please read

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 audi s4, few problems. please read

So ill start off by saying that it is a 2002 audi s4. 2.7L v6 twin turbo, awd yadda yadda yadda

I live in yellownife, canada. which as you can imagine, gets pretty cold. So i took the car on a trip to saskatoon and back (just over 2000km each way). Before I left, the car was running perfectly

Problem #1
of the 4000km trip, at around the 500km mark i noticed a noise coming from the rear right wheel well. I checked everything out, couldnt pinpoint exactly what the noise is. It sounds like a low humm, that increased with wheel speed, and only after 30km/h. and I should add the car has winter tires on, but also makes the noise with summer tires on, however i can say if the noise is any lesser or not. The only thing I can think of, is maybe a rock or piece of ice got shot up and put a hole in the well, right near where it meets the fender, and gets tucked in. All I can think of is the noise from the ground, or wind or w/e is being amplified in through the car through this hole.

Problem #2
Now i believe this problem could be resolved. but I will list it anyways.
at about 3400km mark, 600km from home. I got a oil pressure (oil symbol with 'min') warning light flashing. So i pull into the next gas station, and there is oil dripping down. some coming out of the oil cap. and out of the exhaust a little bit. The guy running the place said sounds like a common problem, frozen pcv valve. So i put in 4 L of oil, and keep going,at the 300km mark, i put in 2 more litres. and make it home. left the car outside for a day (-25 to -30ish C). Then the next day i bring the car into a garage (+15C) for 2 days. oil everywhere, but i imagine thats just because the oil leak got everywhere because of the highway speeds.

After the 2 days, took it home. (I didnt do anything to the car) and the oil leak seems to have stopped (likely because the pcv valve thawed out).

So this issue being "checked" I willl move on to the next

Problem #3
I noticed just as I was pulling into the garage (could have started earlier and I just didnt notice) the ESP and ABS lights were on, and they were no longer working. Now i know that the ESP And ABS are linked, and If the ABS failed, the ESP also fails. tried restarting the car, which did not fix the issue, warning lights stay on.

Problem #4
After I took the car home, I didnt use it for 1 day, then the next I went out, started it. which started fine. its -29C today. doesnt seem to be any more oil leaking. I let the car warm up for a bit, then I got in, and noticed the car was idling at about 1000-1050 rpm. It would be steady for a second, then seem to drop for a second, maybe 50-100 rpm. I didnt think much of it, till I got in the car, and tried to drive. I put it in drive, and gave it gas, it didnt seem to respond much, if at all, to the accelerator. It didnt go faster than 10km/h. so i turned around, went back up and parked in my spot again. put it in neutral, gave it gas, wouldnt go higher than 2500rpm. But its not like it was running rough or anything, it just didnt rev high, nore did the rpms accelerate fast. just a steady increase. and now the ECP light is on. and the final piece of info is the fuel is low. which i knew, i was going to go get fuel. but its a good 5 minute drive, and I didnt want to take it out in the traffic.

So if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on any of the above issues, please let me know what you think. If you need more info on the car or problem, I can gladly post those

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

So apparently no one has ever had these issues before, So ill come up with my own theories.

Im thinking maybe the oil from the leak got onto a brake sensor and is setting off the abs warning light, which is also affecting the traction control.

and im hoping the car is only acting the way it is because of low fuel, maybe its a fail safe to make sure your destination is a gas station?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fliparto
Problem #2
Now i believe this problem could be resolved. but I will list it anyways.
at about 3400km mark, 600km from home. I got a oil pressure (oil symbol with 'min') warning light flashing. So i pull into the next gas station, and there is oil dripping down. some coming out of the oil cap. and out of the exhaust a little bit. The guy running the place said sounds like a common problem, frozen pcv valve. So i put in 4 L of oil, and keep going,at the 300km mark, i put in 2 more litres. and make it home. left the car outside for a day (-25 to -30ish C). Then the next day i bring the car into a garage (+15C) for 2 days. oil everywhere, but i imagine thats just because the oil leak got everywhere because of the highway speeds.

After the 2 days, took it home. (I didnt do anything to the car) and the oil leak seems to have stopped (likely because the pcv valve thawed out).

So this issue being "checked" I willl move on to the next

Im had the same problem this morning...did you ever find out what was wrong?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

No, But I believe it was the PCV Valve. I'm going to try and pull it in to a garage soon and pull it off and check it out. give me a few days and I'll know. Part is $190.00CA

Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

I did nothing to the car, and there is 0 oil leaking now. Which is enough evidence to conclude that the PCV valve froze and was stuck. Thaw out your car in a heated garage, I would suggest putting down 6mil Poly as there will be a lot of oil dripping onto the floor. this $5 and 2 minute idea would have saved me 2 hrs of mopping and cleaning