General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 B6 1.8T Low Oil Pressure Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:26 AM
1st Gear
Default 2003 B6 1.8T Low Oil Pressure Light

A few weeks ago I had a rough idle with a CEL, I replaced the PCV valve and it smoothed the idle and cleared the CEL. A couple days later I got the red oil low oil pressure light intermittently. I changed the oil and it had a consistency that was normal. Driving the car the CEL and low pressure light only come on if I am in a high gear under low RPM's. The car is fine at idle.

Could this be a faulty PCV? or other issue with the PCV system?

I went through a lot of forums and I did not find anything that covered this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds more like a faulty oil pressure sending unit. Sometimes the the little hole at the end that screws into the block and measures the pressure can get clogged with the usual oil sludge and make it read lower that it should. This will trip the idiot light on the dash. Sometimes just removing it and cleaning out the end with some brake clean or carb cleaner will fix it. Depending on how hard it is to get to, I'd order a new one and replace it if it's not easy to access so you just have to do it once..

But.. I was thinking after I posted this. You might be able to clean it without removing it. Pour about a 1/4 of a bottle of Sea Foam Additive into the oil filler cap and run it a week or so. Change the oil and filter adding about about half as much Sea Foam to the new oil. This will help clean the oil passages and the pressure sensor from the inside.

Last edited by dave944; 09-01-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
Sounds more like a faulty oil pressure sending unit. Sometimes the the little hole at the end that screws into the block and measures the pressure can get clogged with the usual oil sludge and make it read lower that it should. This will trip the idiot light on the dash. Sometimes just removing it and cleaning out the end with some brake clean or carb cleaner will fix it. Depending on how hard it is to get to, I'd order a new one and replace it if it's not easy to access so you just have to do it once..

But.. I was thinking after I posted this. You might be able to clean it without removing it. Pour about a 1/4 of a bottle of Sea Foam Additive into the oil filler cap and run it a week or so. Change the oil and filter adding about about half as much Sea Foam to the new oil. This will help clean the oil passages and the pressure sensor from the inside.

Thanks for the response. I tried the seafoam for a few days but that didn't have any affect on clearing the low pressure signal. So, yesterday I changed the sending unit but the low pressure is still going off. This is only happening after the car has warmed up and during times of deceleration when the car is in a high gear at low RPMs. Any other ideas or places I should look? Thanks again!