General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 8PA A3 2.0T Hot Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:43 AM
1st Gear
Default 2012 8PA A3 2.0T Hot Start Issue

Hi, i'm having a major issue with my 2.0T. Somewhere around 4 months ago, It started suffering from a very minor hot starting issue. Every now and then after the car reached operating temperature and was switched off, it would crank multiple times before starting. Gradually over time, it got worse. The car will no longer start after sitting for atleast 30 minutes after reaching operating temperature, however the car still starts perfectly fine every single morning. Each time it cranks, the initial crank only just fails to start and then continues to crank with no start. As it is now, I have replaced my:

HPFP
LPFP
LPFP Control Module
Injectors
High Pressure Sensor
Temperature Switch
Fuel Rail
Fuel Filter
Battery
Checked both ignition main circuit relay and air injection pump relay

The only thing that I haven't changed is the camshaft position sensor, but the rev counter flutters as the car cranks so I didn't think it would be that?

It's also worth noting that there's been a few intermittent faults and CEL's. Faults ran towards low pressure at the rail at first, that's when i started replacing most of the fuel system. The car then showed running lean, but only does so at idle every few days or so. To test the fuel delivery, I disconnected the fuel line at the rail and let the car prime, there's definitely enough fuel getting to the rail. I also checked to see how much pressure is being built at the rail and pressure is within spec both at idle and at load.
The faults that have been thrown so far:
P2271
P0087
P0171
P0444 (Shouldn't affect the hot start?)
P068a (Went away after changing the battery, assuming it was thrown due to low voltage from the battery going bad)

Some help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!