General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Quattro 1.8 No Reverse

Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 Quattro 1.8 No Reverse

Hey guys-
This is a question which seems to to fairly common, but only a few have come back to post how they resolved the issue. Here's what happened. I took my 97 Quattro 1.8 to a Mr. Tire for new tires. Was driving silky smooth, no signs of problems. Dropped it off at Mr. Tire....2 hours later when the mechanic walked in the door and I saw fear in his eyes, I knew something was wrong. All the gear lights are on on the dash. It shifts into reverse but doesn't engage. Drives forward fine. I guess it's in "Limp mode". All that happened was it went up on lift, got new tires, and now no reverse??? I saw a post by someone who had the same car, took it to Pep Boys for oil and ended up with the same exact problem. Could the lift be moving or flexing contacts or something?
Must be something simple I would think. I don't see how mechanically anything could have happened to cause this. Any advice? Some have mentioned bad contacts, or electrical lead. Another stated
there is a switch on the top of the transmission that over time looses is water proofing and is prone to getting wet (at least on the A6 from 97) if this is the same problem the Audi dealership should be able to replace and repair the problem for less than $100. I had the same problem a year or so ago on my A6 i think it cost me $75 to have it fixed. But there is also the chance that the puddle had nothing to do with it and you need tranny fluid the no reverse s the first symptom of a leaking tranny that needs fluid. But most likely it is the switch that got wet and is now bad.
Another mentioned low transmission fluid...

I know it needs to be seen by an experienced German car mechanic or dealer, but I was hoping I could hear from those who actually resolved their problem. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 97 Quattro 1.8 No Reverse

Ok well, I found a great shop that is experienced with euro cars, and uses Vag Com. The diagnosed the problem with the MFS multifunction switch aka neutral safety switch. Replaced it for 600.00 installed... no problems.