General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 A6 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 A6 oil leak

Can anybody help with my oil leak.

I recently changed my oil and now I have a leak somewhere. It's not from the pan, the drain plug or the filter but their is a lot of oil coming out somewhere.

If I drive a short distance on a cold engine there is virtually no oil spill, but the warmer the car gets, the more oil starts to drip and smoke from the burning oil on the engine block. There is predominantly two main spots of oil, but it drips from everywhere when idle. The two main spots would be just off the sides of the oil pan, but the drips are from above the oil pan somewhere. I cleaned the entire underside and as much engine area as I could with brake cleaner but I can't tell where it's coming from, since it only starts spilling after I start driving and in that case the air flow sprays it all over.

Any ideas?

Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Default RE: 99 A6 oil leak

you changed the oil filter? check if it has the rubber seal on it and its tight next is the drain plug does it have the copper washer on it??

Old 11-27-2006, 03:28 PM

when I got my old baby it also had an oil leak but only seen when the engine was running and under pressure, it looked like it was coming from all over the engine till I saw it while it was up on the car lift ( oil sump plug wasn't tight enough ) removed it and put a new copper washer on there all is now great

Old 11-27-2006, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

I couldn't see anything leaking. Where should I be looking to see the oil sump plug?
Is this something that goes bad on it's own or is it something that somebody messed with and shouldn't have?

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:08 PM

its where you drain the old oil out ( sump plug/ bolt )

Old 11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

The old washer, which was not copper, had a large gauge in it, so I replaced it, not with copper, and it is not leaking. I watched as a friend stood on the gas for 4 mintues, nothing from there, and it looked like it was fixed. No huge amounts of oil.
It seemed fine over the weekend, but this morning after pulling into work it is pumping a lot of smoke and I have a few good drips on each side of the oil pan.

Any other ideas? I'm not so sure it's the plug. I wish it was.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:22 PM

some have a plastic washer but mine being and older model its copper other places to look are the rocker cover gasket which sounds about right since its dripping on the exhaust, best way is to stem clean the engine bay then run the engine but not drive it this is the most effective way ( it could be the bolts on the rocker cover are loose ) nip them up to 8lb/ft

Old 11-27-2006, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help, I'll give that a shot.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Senior Administrator

Don't know if this is relevant, or not, but *MY* 99 D2 A8 had cracked BOTh breather hoses, front AND rear. Short runs dint affect it. Long runs ONLY when I got it up to highway speeds, then it smoked like a sailor on shoreleave, whenever I stopped at a light (i.e. the motor was running.) replaced teh hose (the rear one was a B1TCH to get to), now I;m golden.

check your breather hoses (it/they will go from the valve covers back into the block, somewheer

Old 11-27-2006, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear

what about the oil cooler, behind the filter? the o-ring?

Quick Reply: 99 A6 oil leak