General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a4 multitronic problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
1st Gear
Default a4 multitronic problems

Hi everybody
i have a audi A4 2003 multitronic. The car has some problems with the automatic transmission and I don't know what to do. Sometimes all the gears from the dash display disappear and it wouldn`t show anything except for Parking, but if i stick it in Drive will still work. In Reverse there is no light on the dash display and the car wouldn`t move just goes back very slowly i have to put it in Neutral for a second then the display lights will start flashing with red intermittently(P,R,N,D),and all of the gears will back working perfectly.
So i went to a few audi dealers the 1st one said that i need a new gearbox ecu quoted me 1500 euro for the part and the reprogramming of the new ecu. Second dealer told me that i need a new gearbox!! which is 5000 !!! Don`t know who to believe and what to do!! Has anyone ever heard about this problem before? & how to fix it??

Old 01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Default RE: a4 multitronic problems

hmmmm interesting ( why do they think its the trany? ) what tests did they do and what fault codes did they get, it sounds to me your in limp mode on the trany ( did they even check if it had fluid?? )

Old 01-16-2008, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

didn`t get the fault report of them, both dealers only given me quotations of how much and what do i have to replace..[>:]

Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

...could the lack of fluid be the cause of that??

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM

well now you know what to ask forno codes = they dont know or are trying a rip off ( ask for a detailed report )

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Site Moderator

There is a TSB for testing the TCM, it most likely the TCM because its intermittent.Thesecond guy sounds like he's shot gunning.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

ok, will go back and ask for a report.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

My 2003 a4 did the same today. no gear indicators on dash, reverse not there and then flashing gear indicators. As per book I took it to mechanic who connected to computer and read intermittant fault - implausible link then check wiring. Apparently any electrical fault can trigger this. My reversing lights do not work. Appears to be a shift problem caused by external wiring. So to Auto elec tomorrow. I had a major rear end shunt last 3 months ago so that repair is being checked first. I'll let you know outcome.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

Id be willing to bet your gonna need a new tcm. The sensor for the reverse lights is built into the tcm itself, that is if you have a multitronic, thatd be fwd.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

Today my reverse lights work. One had bulb missing! since last repair. The dash gearlights worked fine for the first ten minutes then flickered not flashed as if a poor connection. yes mine is fwd multitronic. gears work fine. I have booked into auto elec who has already told me the system is rather complex and hopes to find a poor external connection. I had to drive through flood waters recently so I'll check that. The only other problem I had was when the brake servo hose collapsed on itself and split. I replaced that with real vacuum hose not the original thin servo tubing. Interestingly I found the electric back up vacuum pump which hid the problem for weeks. How is the other A4 gear lights going. My other car is a current WRX so reliable!! Paul

Quick Reply: a4 multitronic problems