General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A5 2.0T Timing Chain Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RunfromAudi
Audi Finally Relented and Fixed (replaced) the Engine... they know we are coming for them. Keep up the pressure.
Could you elaborate as to what you had to do to get them to help you? Same exact thing happened to my 2010 a4 at 78k. As of right now their "customer experience" has been giving me the run around about not being under warranty, not a manufactures defect, etc...

Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

I carefully crafted a letter to an Executive at Audi citing all the 'shops' that the problem is a 'ticking time bomb'... built INTO the engine by AUDI, This must have persuaded Audi that this most definitely was a design/manuf defect.

We also left the car in the dealer's parking lot for the duration which most likely showed up on their repair stats (and PR).

If you call a salesman at an Audi dealer who has one of these cars (motors) on the lot (same age as yours) and ask them if they know of the oil consumption issue - and then the Timing chain issue.... RECORD THEIR REPLY very carefully. One of the things that Courts look VERY unfavorably on is deceit....

List to the answer and ask it a few ways....
BEST!

We also I and

Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

I sent you a PM, Thank you for your help.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

Another victim of Audi here.

My wife's car is a 2012 Q5 with 72K. Car refused to start in a shopping center parking. Had to tow it to Austin North Audi. I said to myself as I watched the car being towed on a flatbed, "I had my share of lemons, but none stranded me at 72K". I thought it probably was some sort of sensor malfunctioning, Prepared to pay a few hundred bucks.

I was in shock when the dealer told me that the head needs to be replaced, the bill will be $5500. Needless to say, I was shocked. Now, what kind of car needs engine replacement at 72K? When told that the cause was the timing chain skipped a couple of gear and the engine was totaled, I thought I heard it wrong. A luxury car such as this has a timing belt? Dealer said no, and confirmed that it has a timing chain. I said, what kind of timing chain breaks at 72K?

So I called Audi care. Sure enough, got the run around. They came back and offer to pay $1400 for the head, leaving us with $3800. I said that's not acceptable and we're determined to fight this.

Thanks for venting. I see there are a couple of members are in Austin. What are the chances there are more Audi failures in Austin than anywhere else? I appreciate anyone who successfully fought Audi to give me some tips on how to fight them.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Like Runfromaudi, I have a 2011 Audi A5. On 3/29/2016, I started my car and it began to shake. As I drove a few feet, it stopped shaking, however, when I would stop the car would shake again. While at a light, the car shook and I turned the car off. When trying to turn it back on, it would not start. Had to get towed to Audi dealer where they told me there was a timing system issue.

I bought the car at 34K miles. I too experienced the oil consumption problem and was told by Audi 3 times that the car passed oil consumption tests. Eventually, after 4 visits since the car was under warranty, Audi decided to replace the pistons to fix the engine problem. Shortly after, Audi loss the class action lawsuit and it was reveled that it was indeed an issue and they issued a recall. Now with the car at 73k miles, the timing system has failed. After researching, I have found that this is a HUGE issue with the cars that have been recalled between the 60-75K mile mark. This is not a coincidence. This is not a single case. Something is wrong with these cars. Audi has said the engine is covered at 80K miles if the car was recalled but it has to relate to the oil consumption issue. I have not heard back from the dealer as of yet.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

What recall? Just talked to Audi's "high" level person. She steadfastly refused to acknowledge the problem and that Audi would not chip in a dime.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Audi Agrees To Settle Oil Consumption Lawsuit | CarComplaints.com

There was a recall for excessive oil consumption. How did you get in contact with high level rep? What did she say?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

I called Audi care number and told them my problem. It went up the chain for nothing.
There isn't a recall for the timing chain problem though. They're still in denial.

Our cars is driven a lot. It's 2012 and got to the 70K quickly. There are lots more Audi out there of the same year or earlier that haven't gotten there yet. I think there will be a lot more coming.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

Did your vehicle experience excessive oil consumption issues?

Old 04-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Default Same problem

Has anyone gotten a good solution to this problem yet?

Quick Reply: A5 2.0T Timing Chain Failure