General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A8 Not Starting - Shifter? ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 PM
1st Gear
Default A8 Not Starting - Shifter? ECU?

Hello, How is it possible that my 2004 Audi A8 AWD is able to be pushed as though the car is in neutral all the time but the actual gear selector in the center console remains in park?

I bought a 2004 Audi A8 in an auto auction. The battery has been dead for a few months. I was just able to get the key out of the broken cylinder in the car and open the trunk to access the battery. When I placed a jumper pack on the car, all of the electronics on the car lights up but i get an error on the dash/mmi stating put the car in park or neutral in order to start. The car will not start. When I turn the key all the power turns off. The shifter is literally in Park position and does not move even if I push the brake. The MMI shows that the shifter should be in the S position if that makes any sense. Please help me, i have no idea what could be wrong. The car was a stolen recovery and the ignition cylinder is broken and is loose in the hole. But I can still put the key in and turn and the car just loses all electricity but the MMI still says put in Park or Neutral. Also, once the car was taken off the tow truck, we were able to push the car around and into a spot as if the car was placed in neutral. How could this be possible if I cant even shift the car into neutral with the shifter? is something broken or did someone break something since this car is AWD and broke something to be able to push the car since it can move as it is in neutral?

Make: Audi
Model: A8
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.2L V8

Old 03-23-2014, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Default ausi a8.

yes that sounds really strange. have I would check with the dear just to do diag. and give you better idea where to start.