General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default ABS?????

I am having abs trouble, i think. i reciently had the driver front axel replaced, and now when i apply the breaks to stop for a light or stop sign i get this mencanical/electrical sound and a very firm pedal with a slight pulse. this i assume is the abs kicking in.this has never happened before. could the sensor be dirty, inadvertntly disconnected? also, on the side of the master cyclender there is an electrical connector that is disconnected. i have no lights on the dash, ie cel, abs or the break light.

is the car safe to drive? do i have a real problem? it is a 96 a6 avant quattro.

thanks...

Old 01-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Default RE: ABS?????

no cell = no problem as long as the ABS cel isn't on, winter isn't likable by the standard ABS because it dont work so you get the judder which is normal

Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear

hey dave, glad you did not leave us. the abs feelingnever happened before, there is no snow or anything. this happens on a dry road. i am wondering if something got screwed up with the axle replacement. it is a loud noise, i can hear it inside the car and feel it in the pedal. also, is the connection on the side of the mastercyclender important?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:27 AM

ABS light would come on if there was a problem with the ABS? so what your saying is ( chatter on the pads ) this could be you didn't grease the pistons and did the usual service to the appropriate master cylinder parts ( or the break need bleeding )

Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 AM

I hate ABS

Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear

dave, caliper/rotor was not removed during the axle replacement. i am just wondering if a dirty sensor could cause this? it is a never before experienced thing. does it happening at a slow stop matter? that is why i am concerned, since this is a new thing. never had any break trouble, always a firm pedal, pads/rotors in good shape. is there anything that could have been messed up, disconnected, broken while installing the axel? sometning on the tranny end of the axel?

also what is the connection on the side of the master cycilender? it is what seems to be an electrical type connection.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
4th Gear

im thinking a dirty sensor i had a simila r issue when ii replaced my rear ABS sensors (used) took themn out and cleaned all 4 for good measure and soo far all seems well (knock on wood)

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear

i hope that is all it is. what should i use to clean them? is it a big project, as the weather makes it difficult to do in the driveway.

where are the sensors located?do you know what the connection on the side of the master cylinder is for? it is currently disconnected and has been.

thx.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
4th Gear

the sensors are on teh hib, and on my car pull straight out all though on the 99.5+ they were screwed on with i believe 6mm bolt. i just used some PB blaster and WD-40 dont ask why both its just me, also spray some intot eh hib since theres a ring on the axle that the sensor pulses or something, let it dry and that should do it.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear

So, can anybody tell me what the connection on the side of the master cylinder is?