General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC condenser fan works, not sure what in the system is broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Default AC condenser fan works, not sure what in the system is broken

The car is a 1999 A4 quattro avant 1.8T.

The AC runs very cool when the car is moving but does not when stopped. The AC condenser fan does not operate.

I hooked up the ac condenser fan directly to the battery. It spun wobbly at first, then corrected itself and ran smoothly. A piece of the plastic turbo housing was cracked and had been down in the fan.

In my car I see the wires from the condenser fan connected by a single connector and then running directly into the body of the car towards the fuse box - there is nothing like a control module apparent under the hood.

I checked every fuse and they are all good. The only spots where there were not fuses where there could be were the two for the stability system - which I do not think would apply here.

What am I missing here, where is the broken link that is not turning on or powering the AC condensing fan?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

You should check the fuse for that fan first, and make sure it's getting power.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by carshow
You should check the fuse for that fan first, and make sure it's getting power.
Where would a fuse for the fan be? It appears that the power cords just run into the body of the car and there is no fuse there. All of the fuses in the fuse box are intact. So, is there something in between I'm missing, maybe underneath the dashboard?

I do not have a bentley manual or anything, so if someone has access it would be appreciated.