General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

anyone looking for a heat shield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default anyone looking for a heat shield?

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I think this will work.

Here's the deal. I'm a Mechanical Engineer that works for a company that makes NOTHING but thermal insulation. We wrap pipes with thermal shields all day long. You got a turbo that you're afraid is heating up your engine bay too much? Trying to keep that CAI nice and cold but having trouble doing so because of the many high heat sources under your hood? We make blankets to custom fit any housing. This is not an advertisement, just a feeler. I'm looking to expand on some of the business my company does and it seems like this is a good place to do it. Plus, I can probably get free shields for my car.

Anyhow, like I said, we make thermal blankets all day long. More than half of what I work on everyday has to do with heat shields for turbos and exhaust on diesel trucks. The products we make are professional grade heat shields. We make blankets for ALL of the major aerospace companies and many big name industrial companies for diesel trucks and industrial power generation. I don't mention names because I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about, but think of any big name that might need a heat shield, and there's a very good chance we make them for them.

We have affordable insulation, and the best of the best when you don't want to settle.

We make blankets that are removable and blankets that are permanently welded to your housing (meaning you'd have to send us your down pipes, turbo, etc. to get it wrapped with one of our blankets).

I haven't personally made a heat shield that is just a wall made to section something off, but I'm sure we've done it before and will do it again.

The only catch here is, I'd need to get quite a few people (need to talk to my boss to see how many exactly) interested in picking up each specific type of blanket. We spend thousands on the custom made tooling to make each part so, to be able to recover those costs, we need to have some fairly hefty orders. Once we get those orders in though, I quote these parts for labor, materials, and profit. I'm still very new at this company (barely over 2 months) so I can't give any concrete price estimates without part geometry in front of me, but we sell many shields about the size of thos that we might want them in our cars for around $100. Keep in mind that these prices vary due to part complexity, material, the type of blanket you want, and any fastening hardware you'd need but, I'm not talking about $100-800. It will vary, but not a whole lot.

With all of that in mind, is anyone interested? Try to find some common ground between yourselves so that we're not making a new tool for every individual person's car. I'll talk to my boss tomorrow to see if it's cool if I post some pics of sample parts that we make.