General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi 80

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Default Audi 80

I have a problem changing/replacing the alternator belt on my 1.9 TDI Audi 80. I cant bring the tensioner back enough to get the belt on. There seems to be a small "thingy" on the end of the shaft that holds it in place. I cant find a manual for this engine and the car is in use every day as I am a disabled driver so any help with this would be really appreciated.
Thanks
George

Old 10-13-2004, 01:26 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Audi 80

Welcome to the forum george.amos!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with questions about their Audi or related subjects. It is a great site to find camaraderie with other "Audiphiles", too. I hope you find it to your liking.

If you're not familiar with this forum and the vocabulary, please click HERE or you can, at any time, go to the "New Member Welcome Area" forum and click on the "START HERE!" post at the top of the forum. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.

If you want to notify us about a personal problem with the site or file a complaint about a particular member, please feel free to PM the Admin, me, or any other moderator. We will keep your PM confidential and respond as soon as possible. Otherwise, please feel free to post public messages about the forum on the "Forum Issues" forum (found at the bottom of the main menu). It is there that we prefer you "test" your sig, too.

We all welcome you and hope you find this sight informative and enjoyable.
================================================== ==========
I believe there is a special tool required for the "thingy" to which you refer; there is a tool needed for the newer models. Search the archives on this. I think the subject of "belt tensioner tool" or "timing belt tool" was brought up in the forums within the last few months.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:00 PM

thanks for your reply I appreciate it. I am writing this at 3.04p.m. as I am in South East Scotland so our times are different. The belt I am replacing is not the timing one but the one that does just the alternator only but I dont know which side the belt rides on, top of pulley os bottom of pulley as there was nothing left of other belt.
Keep up the great work
George

Old 10-16-2004, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Yes there is a tool that you need to loosen the load off the pulley over here you can get one to rent at almost any part store but there I don't know .